US - STH Perpetual Freebies Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

acp

Mar 7, 2014
I have a supermicro cse-826 case free to a good home. I no longer need it cause it won't power a dual CPU system (final straw for me) Originally it had a TQ back plane. Wouldn't take another back plane with out more modifications. I still have the TQ backplane. Dual power supplies.fans are 3 pin so it's loud. Probably could be changed to a 4 pin setup.

It's in central Florida. Rather not ship because it's heavy.

Reactions: Samir

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
I have the following random hardware that could use a new home. You pay for shipping.

2 x 1000Base-T to SFP adapter
1 x Highpoint 744a (could not find much info but has 4 external SAS12G ports)
1 x Genuine Intel I350-T2 with low and high profile bracket
2 x low profile M.2 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 SSD to PCI-E adapter (PCEMGFF-N03)

Last edited:

warlord1312

Sep 17, 2015
I have the following random hardware that could use a new home. You pay for shipping.

2 x 1000Base-T to SFP adapter
1 x Highpoint 744a (could not find much info but has 4 external SAS12G ports)
1 x Genuine Intel I350-T2 with low and high profile bracket
PMing on NIC and Highpoint

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
I have a Tyan S7012 LGA1366 dual-CPU motherboard with some RAM (not sure how much) and one CPU + cooler (I think it's an L5640). Served me well as my NAS head for many years, until I upgraded to reduce power consumption. I have a matched CPU, but... I had it installed for years, no trouble, moved houses, removed CPU since I wasn't really using it, months later tried to use it again, ran into some odd crashes in TrueNAS, but never got to the bottom of it - just removed it. You can have the second CPU as well if I can find it.

Just pay shipping from 98030.

Reactions: Bert and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
That board uses IPMI v2.0. It's got the AST 2050 BMC chip.

I believe fan control is only available via BIOS and auto temp control.
I read over the specs, but it didn't say anything about lrdimm support, but many systems in this era didn't say as lrdimms (and even 32GB rdimms) came later. I was mainly curious if using the IPMI required anything special like a java runtime, etc. I'm not worried about heat or noise or power since it's going to be offsite where I don't pay for the power or cooling.

DaveInTexas

Oct 28, 2021
I read over the specs, but it didn't say anything about lrdimm support, but many systems in this era didn't say as lrdimms (and even 32GB rdimms) came later. I was mainly curious if using the IPMI required anything special like a java runtime, etc. I'm not worried about heat or noise or power since it's going to be offsite where I don't pay for the power or cooling.
Ah. My bad. I should have asked for clarification first.

I found a few references to some software called JViewer that appears to be some sort of old Java runtime app, but I don't have any idea which version of Java it was based on. This rabbit-hole might lead you somewhere useful with it: Aster MegaRAC IPMI q&d fix for broken iKVM jviewer.jnlp

Regarding the RAM compatibility, digging a bit further it appears the actual motherboard model has to be one of these two:
  1. Tyan S7012WGM4NR
  2. Tyan S7012GM4NR
Tyan's documentation mentions "DDR3/DDR3L 800/1066/1333* RDIMM/UDIMM" for both boards. I don't see support for LRDIMMs. Take a look here: Motherboards S7012 S7012GM4NR

Also see Memory for a Tyan Computers - S7012 Motherboard - Kingston Technology

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Ah. My bad. I should have asked for clarification first.

I found a few references to some software called JViewer that appears to be some sort of old Java runtime app, but I don't have any idea which version of Java it was based on. This rabbit-hole might lead you somewhere useful with it: Aster MegaRAC IPMI q&d fix for broken iKVM jviewer.jnlp

Regarding the RAM compatibility, digging a bit further it appears the actual motherboard model has to be one of these two:
  1. Tyan S7012WGM4NR
  2. Tyan S7012GM4NR
Tyan's documentation mentions "DDR3/DDR3L 800/1066/1333* RDIMM/UDIMM" for both boards. I don't see support for LRDIMMs. Take a look here: Motherboards S7012 S7012GM4NR

Also see Memory for a Tyan Computers - S7012 Motherboard - Kingston Technology
Ah yes, that's what I was thinking about the IPMI, hence why I asked. Thank you for the details and link! :)

Yep, yours is the S7012WGM4NR since it appears to have the 2x sas ports and only 6x sata. :) I didn't see LRDIMM support either, but a lot of times this was quietly supported or simply never tested but did work. Obviously you personally never ran into this or tried it so you won't have any first hand knowledge and I'll need to do some more Internet research.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I didn't see LRDIMM support either, but a lot of times this was quietly supported or simply never tested but did work. Obviously you personally never ran into this or tried it so you won't have any first hand knowledge and I'll need to do some more Internet research.
I thought the memory controller is built into the 56xx xeon processors. In my experience the 55xx and 56xx processors do not support LRDIMMS. The 56xx xeons do support ddr3l, but the 55xx processors do not.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Ah yes, that's what I was thinking about the IPMI, hence why I asked. Thank you for the details and link! :)

Yep, yours is the S7012WGM4NR since it appears to have the 2x sas ports and only 6x sata. :) I didn't see LRDIMM support either, but a lot of times this was quietly supported or simply never tested but did work. Obviously you personally never ran into this or tried it so you won't have any first hand knowledge and I'll need to do some more Internet research.
This is all correct - IPMI is old and needs an old Java and no LRDIMM support AFAIK. The SAS is LSI1068 and only supports up to 2.2 TB drives. Sorry for the lack of details initially - I was in a bit of a rush as we uncovered it while making space for Christmas decorations last night and I promised my wife I would get rid of it ASAP :)

At the moment, I have an interested person for this MB from r/homelabsales

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Clearing out some more, found the following no longer needed. You pay for shipping and all can fit in a small USPS priority box.

1 x Orico M2 SSD to USB3 metal enclosure (not sure if it is SATA or PCIe)
1 x LT304 PCI-E SATA 3.0 + MSATA PCIe card
1 x Intel 3160 Dual Band Wireless card with antenna pigtails
1 x Able Conn full height dual USB-C 3.1 10gbps Asmedia PCIe card (great for passthrough)

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Clearing out some more, found the following no longer needed. You pay for shipping and all can fit in a small USPS priority box.

1 x Orico M2 SSD to USB3 metal enclosure (not sure if it is SATA or PCIe)
1 x LT304 PCI-E SATA 3.0 + MSATA PCIe card
1 x Intel 3160 Dual Band Wireless card with antenna pigtails
1 x Able Conn full height dual USB-C 3.1 10gbps Asmedia PCIe card (great for passthrough)
Is that Intel WLAN card from a Dell by any chance?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
My ORICO TCM2-C3 is a JMS583-based enclosure. If you look at the PCB you'll find that it could be an RTL9210 (PCIE), ASM2362 (PCIE), JMS583 (PCIE), or RTL9210B (PCIE and SATA).
I was looking for one of those things to test Nvmes. Thanks Kev for giving it away.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Need to get rid of a Cisco 48-port PoE switch. Wonder if somebody could use it rather than sending it off to Staples for e-recycling?
(1) Cisco WS-C2960-48PST-L V05 - FREE + shipping
The WS-C2960+48PST-L is a LAN Base switch that provides 48 x 10/100 PoE Ethernet ports, 2 x 1000BT and 2 x SFP uplink interfaces. Pulled from working office environment after upgrading network to gigabit. We used this to run a bunch of PoE phones.
Crossposted from FS thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and Bert