URL Shortener Software

Discussion in 'STH Suggestions and Updates' started by Patrick, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I was thinking about setting up a YOURLS instance for STH links so they look less huge in Twitter for example. Plus, it would be nice to see how many people click links as I wonder if it is even useful.

Does anyone have experience/ thoughts on this or another solution?

2. amalurk

amalurk Member

Google likely has algorithms to detect shortner use since it is often used by spammers and malware types to hide. Is there a blanket small negative for their use? Maybe, maybe not.

If users start linking in mass with the shortener from other websites where the backlinks do matter, do you want to risk losing a little of the juice sending them through a redirect?

Also if the target urls change because of forum or domain migration in the future you still have to maintain all these with proper redirects or you lose those backlinks. Even if you do all that correctly through a migration, you still end up with what is a chain of redirects overtime and that is definitely going to lose you some backlink juice. Google representatives have even said something to the effect of Googlebot gives up around 4-5 redirects in a chain. (I don't remember exact quote).

IMHO, potential false categorization by Google or potential small ranking algo negatives and long term redirect maintainence issues outweigh the small conveinence factor.

Also, why not edit the Forums item on the menu on the main site to point directly to https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php instead of it having go through a redirect?

3. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Other than Twitter where maybe they have a use I think it’s not a good idea. Most URL even gives an idea of the topic based on name where short one... no idea just some random link.

4. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

It is really just for Twitter so I can track the data.

5. sean

sean Member

I did a quick check from the app and it includes the t.co URL shortener as a referrer.

6. cluefr

cluefr New Member

using yourls for years and work great

Patrick likes this.
  7. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

If you do use YOURLS please post follow-up curious how you like it :)

No negatives for short URLs on twitter other than maybe no preview\info.

Patrick likes this.
  8. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

Hey I just saw that there's an official docker image for this too! I had no idea it was big enough for that.

Docker Hub

9. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

‘Big enough’ is probably not the reason, just that so many people are deploying apps in dockers these days and really it’s not a bad thing. App runs in its own environment with just remote calls to and from it.

10. Balamut

Balamut New Member

I've been using YOURLS fro 3 years now, given that I've heavily modified it to work for me and it works great, there are bunch of plugins for it and writing plugins are not that hard.

YOURLS/awesome-yourls

More options.

Kickball/awesome-selfhosted