Upgrading a NetApp DS14 MK2 AT-FC/-FCX

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

leohe

Dec 11, 2016
Europe
Hi,

I recently bought a NetApp DS14 MK2 AT-FC/-FCX to play around with. Works nice. Plugged it into a FC card and 14 disks showed up. Got close to 200MB/sec when accessing the disks in parallel.

Since the MK2 is to 2GB fibre channel only I thought it might be possible to upgrade to 4GBit. So I received two DS14MK4 Controller yesterday. The adapter is physically almost the same. Just a single screw needs to be removed. However, they do not work. No disks are detected on the initiator side. The adapter detects a loop-up and negotiates 2GBit (instead of 4GBit).

I ordered some different transceivers. But the one I'm using now shoud be cabable of 4GBit as well.

Anybody got experience with this old NetApp disk shelfs? And upgrading those from 2GB to 4GB?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Here's what I'd do. I'd find a NetApp recycler... like a shop that does this all the time and ask them if it is possible. NetApp, EMC and old HP stuff is really a PITA to change configs on.

Reactions: pgh5278