Ubuntu-MATE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Did you tab out the filename? If so, try this:
Code:
gunzip ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804.orig.tar.gz
file ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804.orig.tar
The unzipped file should be recognized as a tar archive, and you should then be able to do this (note: no z argument since the file has already been unzipped):
Code:
tar xf ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804.orig.tar
Pardon my ignorance but what is "tab out the file name"?

Kybber

May 27, 2016
It's a completion feature in bash. Type the first few characters of the file name, then hit tab to autocomplete it. That ensures you get the file name exactly right, including any required escaping of special characters.

Reactions: Fritz

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Pardon my ignorance but what is "tab out the file name"?
On most unix shells you can start typing a file name and the press tab and so long as it's unique it will auto complete the file name for you, of cycle through non unique file names where the first letters match.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Well crap, I found the problem. there was an extra .orig.tar at the end of the file name. I've run the 3 commands above without error. what's next? :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I did but no joy.

Code:
sparkey@sparkey-mate:~/Downloads/IPMIView/IPMIView_2.12.0_build.160804_bundleJRE_Linux_x64$ tar xf ../ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804-1~all.debian.tar.xz
tar: ../ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804-1~all.debian.tar.xz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
sparkey@sparkey-mate:~/Downloads/IPMIView/IPMIView_2.12.0_build.160804_bundleJRE_Linux_x64$ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -sa
tail: cannot open 'debian/changelog' for reading: No such file or directory
dpkg-buildpackage: error: tail of debian/changelog gave error exit status 1
sparkey@sparkey-mate:~/Downloads/IPMIView/IPMIView_2.12.0_build.160804_bundleJRE_Linux_x64$

Kybber

May 27, 2016
The new tar command fails with the same error message as the one you had issues with before. My wild guess is that the cause may be quite similar. Did you tab-complete the filename? Also please ensure you completed Step #2, where you download the file.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks all. Really appreciate the most excellent assistance. I've run out of time and have to take care of business so I can continue to support my habit. I'll be back this afternoon.

btw, I've been C&P the commands.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Copy and paste watch the '-' sometimes it's converted to a different type of dash

Kybber

May 27, 2016
btw, I've been C&P the commands.
I strongly advice agains blindly copy-pasting commands from a howto, especially if you are new to Linux. Type out the commands instead, and use tab-completion. That will prevent you from encountering the same issues again, and you'll learn more. :)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Couldn't agree more, the only way to retain what you do at the cli, is to actually type it out yourself. When you repeat the same commands a week later, although you might not exactly remember the full syntax or command switches, your brain will tell you that it doesn't look right (basic pattern recognition) and you'll be able to pull up the man pages, giggle etc and find some help. Assuming of course you don't panic and forget that they are available. There are times though when a quick c/p comes in handy and I freely admit to doing so, probably more often than I should, but it can have unintended consequences for those unaware. I remember feeling so lost in the various file systems when I first started out with Linux, just trying to remember where things were, how to navigate the tree etc. It's definitely a learning curve, more so for those poor souls only ever having been exposed to M$ Windows. Those that cut their teeth on the various flavours of DOS or have some programming experience have less of a struggle, as that lack of GUI doesn't scare them quite so much and their confidence is not dented by it. Either way, learning how to get the best out of "your" Linux is, without doubt, a journey worth taking :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks all. Been super busy but gonna jump back on this tomorrow.