Ubuntu-MATE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Loaded this on my main box a couple of days ago and I'm impressed. This is as close to Windows level usability as I've ever seen in a Linux distro. My setup is a fairly complex dual monitor, all the bells and whistles setup so configuring it to my likely was a long drawn out affair. But it all went remarkably smoothly and the only thing I had to use the CLI for is to install my 3 printers, one of which was a Canon which was a PITA to get working but finally did. Mate is highly customizable and the GUI is very user friendly. There are a few nuances but no more than in Windows.

I'll be moving more computers to MATE after a few weeks of testing but at this point I'm very much liking what I see.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
What other linux desktop environments have you used?
Have you tried Ubuntu Gnome (3.x)? Cinnamon?

I downloaded a bunch a few months ago and did some minor testing then got busy and haven't gotten back to it, I want to replace my desktop with likely Ubuntu and ___ in the future :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015

I downloaded a bunch a few months ago and did some minor testing then got busy and haven't gotten back to it, I want to replace my desktop with likely Ubuntu and ___ in the future :)
I've tried them all. Actually, I've been trying to make the jump to Linux for many years but always found it way to rough around the edges to compete with Windows. Windows has always ruled when it comes to usability, Linux was always clueless until now. Mate is a quantum leap for Linux. They have finally removed most of the useless gibberish that has kept the ungeek masses away.

LibreOffice is amazing and transparently compatible with document created in MS Office (as far as I can tell so far). And last, but not least, Super Tux Cart is awesome.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013

Of all of the Linux desktops, I'm really partial to KDE. That said, I almost always end up back on Windows for my main productivity machines, and run Linux utility VMs for the functionality I need.

Reactions: nitrobass24

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
I've been using Ubuntu-Xfce for several years as my main desktop with Windows virtual machine for the occassional Windows-specific task. At first, there was a dual boot Windows option for me, but it was used so infrequently, that I deleted the partition.

I have also "threatened" my wife to switch her primary machine from Windows to some of the ubuntu variants, and it almost seems the time has come. Because HW upgrades are sometimes truly terrible in Windows.

In Ubuntu, when I last upgraded my workstation (keeping only the graphic card, disks and PSU), I had only to change the default network device and everything went smoothly on (and it was a different machine architecture I moved to, from consumer AMD to E5 intel). On the other hand, my last (not so drastic) hw-upgrade of a windows machine resulted in complete Windows reinstall. And I don't want to go through that again...

Reactions: Fritz and talsit

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Does anybody have a link to the instructions on how to load IPMIView on Ubuntu? All that I can find are out of date apparently. They say to download a .bin file that it's on SM's ftp site.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
CRAP !!! :mad:

When I try to untar it I get - "Cannot open: No such file or directory" The file is there, the only mystery is WTF is "zxf" ???

Anybody know? :(

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
"zxf" means:
x - extract
z - file is gziped
f - use file (I think has to be last)
I usually use "xvzf" with v - verbose

Edit: don't untar, use "tar". Should work as per the command given on the linked site>
tar zxf ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804.orig.tar.gz

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Of all of the Linux desktops, I'm really partial to KDE. That said, I almost always end up back on Windows for my main productivity machines, and run Linux utility VMs for the functionality I need.
KDE Plasma is the way to go when it comes to Linux UIs

I would fully switch if I didn't need Office 365

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
@nitrobass24 , for me, LibreOffice offers everything I need from an office suite. I don't know what bells and whistles Office 365 offers, but I have not found anything I miss in the free variant. Also, I have not installed MSOffice on any of my wife's work-related computers and instead have forced her (by not providing anything else) to use LibreOffice. She does not complain, her employees don't complain either...

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
@nitrobass24 , for me, LibreOffice offers everything I need from an office suite. I don't know what bells and whistles Office 365 offers, but I have not found anything I miss in the free variant. Also, I have not installed MSOffice on any of my wife's work-related computers and instead have forced her (by not providing anything else) to use LibreOffice. She does not complain, her employees don't complain either...
No integration with Sharepoint and no OneNote.

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Valid point. But if you are not bound with other people, there is the nextcloud/owncloud and MyOwnNote (for example)... I have not done any research if they are really an alternative to what you use, and they would surely be more difficult to set up to run as needed and expected...

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Gah, I can't stand KDE. It looks like some random Anime artist vomited all over the desktop. So I have always stuck with Gnome. Best part of the *Nix world is that you can choose.

Reactions: poutnik

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
"zxf" means:
x - extract
z - file is gziped
f - use file (I think has to be last)
I usually use "xvzf" with v - verbose

Edit: don't untar, use "tar". Should work as per the command given on the linked site>
tar zxf ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804.orig.tar.gz
Thanks. I used the command as above and get the above error. I renamed the folder to "ipmi" to make it easier to switch to it. Could that be the problem?

Kybber

May 27, 2016
CRAP !!! :mad:

When I try to untar it I get - "Cannot open: No such file or directory" The file is there, the only mystery is WTF is "zxf" ???

Anybody know? :(
Try to tab out the filename. The "+" may be causing issues and should be escaped. If that doesn't work, please copy-and-paste the complete command and resulting error message, including pwd.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Code:
sparkey@sparkey-mate:~/Downloads/IPMIView$ tar zxf ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804.orig.tar.gz
tar (child): ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804.orig.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
sparkey@sparkey-mate:~/Downloads/IPMIView$

Kybber

May 27, 2016
Did you tab out the filename? If so, try this:
Code:
gunzip ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804.orig.tar.gz
file ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804.orig.tar
The unzipped file should be recognized as a tar archive, and you should then be able to do this (note: no z argument since the file has already been unzipped):
Code:
tar xf ipmiview_2.12.0+build160804.orig.tar