U.3 sounds great

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I sure hope future Tri-Mode-Controllers are better then the one's available today...

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Given the fact that NVMe is merely a protocol over PCIe, can these Controllers also be used as simpler PCIe Switches? I know that it is not their intended usage, but I'm curious whenever you could potentially hook a standard PCIe Card via adapters. Thus they can be Quad-Mode-Controllers!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Kioxia is a big proponent of pushing U.3 along with Broadcom.

You may not have noticed but that is a post written by Kioxia and Broadcom marketing.

U.3 will be a big deal in the next year but as the need to support 2.5" HDDs wanes realistically using a form factor designed to support spinning disks versus a newer SSD/ PCIe form factor with more density, flexibility, and better cooling is harder to justify. U.3 is not 2.5" only, but that is going to be the primary manifestation.

U.3 I know is coming but at the same time we should also, as an industry, think about whether we want to support Broadcom's grip on SAS or if we want to promote more modern standards.

STH does not run these kinds of posts written by a company. Technically they need to be disclosed as sponsored posts. We get offered a lot of money to do so since we have a large audience, but I always refuse. Luckily we are now large enough where I can simply say no, we do not do that.

Please do let me know if you want to see this kind of content on STH. Maybe that is a wrong belief.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Kioxia is a big proponent of pushing U.3 along with Broadcom.

You may not have noticed but that is a post written by Kioxia and Broadcom marketing.

U.3 will be a big deal in the next year but as the need to support 2.5" HDDs wanes realistically using a form factor designed to support spinning disks versus a newer SSD/ PCIe form factor with more density, flexibility, and better cooling is harder to justify. U.3 is not 2.5" only, but that is going to be the primary manifestation.

U.3 I know is coming but at the same time we should also, as an industry, think about whether we want to support Broadcom's grip on SAS or if we want to promote more modern standards.

STH does not run these kinds of posts written by a company. Technically they need to be disclosed as sponsored posts. We get offered a lot of money to do so since we have a large audience, but I always refuse. Luckily we are now large enough where I can simply say no, we do not do that.

Please do let me know if you want to see this kind of content on STH. Maybe that is a wrong belief.
I did not notice that post was sponsored!! Thank you for pointing it out.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
In the long run both SAS and SATA are dead legacy technologies. Why bother with a new interface to preserve the past?

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Neither did I. That's super shade not clearly disclosing that up top.
I thought it was pretty clear with all the Kioxia SSDs being flaunted around in the diagrams;)

But it could have been made clearer, I agree.

@Patrick - no you got that right, that's not content we need featured here ... enough copies of press releases as 'news' and 'technical reviews' out there just quoting sales numbers as fact