Tyan S7002 with 2 cpu = FF error code

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bicouland

Apr 1, 2012
hello everybody,

I bought an MB tyan s7002 with 2 E5607.
When i put on the motherboard a cpu in socket 1 my computer refuse to start and i have a FF code on motherboard.

I search over internet but i don't fine any issue to solve my problem.
My bios is up to date. I check every connectors also. The only solution that works is : remove battery and clear CMOS and unplug the socket during 20-30s . I doing it at each starts...:(

Please, help me to solve my probelm.:D

Best regards.
Bicouland

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Can you do a BIOS flash? That would be my first thought if I saw something like that.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
From this page Tyan support is quoted as saying:

"A code of FF indicates that the board is not going through POST. This can be caused by defective processors, a defective power supply, a power supply that is not plugged into all the connections on the motherboard, or a defective or shorted motherboard."

Are both your CPU power cables connected in addition to the motherboard cable? What PSU are you using?

Other things I'd check... have you got RAM installed for both sockets? Have you tried reseating the RAM?

bicouland

Apr 1, 2012
Thank for your answers.

I connect all cables on motherboard also for the second cpu. My PSU is an Antec Hight Current Pro 750 W.

But the FF error code come also when i have only 1 cpu on socket1.

i trying reseating the ram, but i have the same problem....

Best regards

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
RAM, must have one per processor at least for boot to proceed, no RAM no boot, most important step.
Try with just one stick one cpu, then try others if it doesn't work.
If using CPU0 then start with DIMM slot CHA0
If using CPU1 then start with DIMM slot CHD0
2x CPU's start with DIMM slots CHA0 and CHD0 (you may even get away with just one in CHA0)

The CMOS battery is not flat ?
CMOS reset jumper not stuck in 'reset' ? (should be on pin 1-2)
Battery is in holder closest to the CPU's ? (What is other battery holder for ?)

You've used the 24pin Power connector and the 2x 8pin ones ?

Pull everything off motherboard that plugs in, HDD's, extra fans, anything that is not essential (leave only the keyboard)
If this does not bring life into the Mobo something is wrong.

You may simply not have enough 12v power from the PSU to run the Mobo.
The minimum recommended is 1000+w PSU.
High efficiency PSU's with single 12v rail are the best for running servers.
Don't be fooled into cheaper multiple rail 12v PSU's

We suggest using a 1000W or higher power supply. A 1000W is sufficient for
most common system configurations, however a higher wattage solution may
be needed if the system is fully loaded. Look to the www.TYAN.com website
for further information.

Last edited:

lilbod

Apr 18, 2012
Hi bicouland, did you get a solution for this.

I too have had an ongoing problem the same as you with this board for weeks now.

I'm only running one CPU though but just getting post (FF) code.

The machine had been up and running for a year without issues, I had to do a reboot and this happened. Now I tried installing a new 1000w PSU but that had no effect, I ended up sending it back to our head office who also had problems solving it. They ended up plugging in yet another 1000w PSU and bang it came on and booted up fine.

They have dispatched the server back out to me and I have plugged it in and..... post (FF) code again!

Really don't know what's up here, can anyone help with this??? Clearing cmos has no effect to me.

Thanks

lilbod

Apr 18, 2012
Just thought I would update my last post, I managed to fix my FF error.

Turned out that the CPU was dead, I managed to get my hands on another Xeon CPU, popped that in and it's now all up and running.

bicouland

Apr 1, 2012
thank you for all answers.

the problem occurs when i plug the cpu on socket1 heaven if the other one is unplug...