Tyan Motherboard Longevity

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by Johnny Mnemonic, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Johnny Mnemonic

I've been looking for a cheaper option for building a Epyc 1401P rack server that can utilize U.2 NVMe drives. While the Dell R6415 is nice, once you select the NVMe option, the price balloons to almost $3,700. I found the Tyan B8026G62FE10HR bare-bone for $1,485 that checks all my boxes. My only problem is that i have no experience with Tyan. Can anyone share their experiences with Tyan products? Am i looking at issues going this route?

2. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

I'd prefer Dell's option. Second Supermicro. Tyan and Gigabyte seem like third options. If this was Intel, Tyan is fine. I don't know of any real Tyan issues other than I've heard they don't have the same level of support behind their products as the larger guys.

3. Johnny Mnemonic

I kind of thought that might be the case. I know that the Dell's are solid, just didn't want to overpay.

4. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Tyan are a solid option but less community support than the others. Don’t know about AMD but they do make some IBM Power servers that are ok.

5. Johnny Mnemonic

I did notice that there seems to be a lack conversation on them. I've found a couple of professional reviews from different generations from STH and Phoronix but it is surprising that a manufacture that has been around for so long has such a low market penetration in the states.

6. Nizmo

Nizmo Member

I put Gigabyte and Tyan products in same class, and I find them to be fantastic for what its worth.

7. fsck

fsck Member

(I'm Canadian) My only experience with Tyan is briefly back in the S940 days. If you're just going to buy a single unit of something, I'd really recommend against Tyan if you intend to keep the machine for a long time. Support is also worse than what I've seen from Supermicro for small quantities. For a Tyan chassis, I haven't seen wide replacement part availability as well so that's a consideration.

8. Johnny Mnemonic

I’ve come to the conclusion that sticking with the Dell will be my best option. I’ve looked at SuperMicro but they don’t have a motherboard with the configuration i am looking for at the moment. The only thing I don’t care for with the Dells is one $160 option sticks you with other options that you didn’t ask for or want.

9. Chris Web

Chris Web New Member

Just ordered the Tyan as the gigabyte is on backorder.. We'll see how it goes

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk