Troubleshooting a SuperMicro X9DR3-F Lockup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
I have a SuperMicro X9DR3-F board I picked up off eBay and just borrowed a V1 CPU to get its BIOS and IPMI up to date so I could run a single E5-2620V2 CPU. I have 4x 16gb sticks of DDR3 ECC Registered RAM from Samsung, model M393B2G70DB0-YK0. It seems to work fine for a while but freezes up totally randomly. I ran memtest86 and it locks up in that at various places as well. I have the sticks in the right slots (the blue ones) for the 4x stick configuration according to the manual. I checked the logs in the BIOS and there are a whole bunch of ECC errors with slot C1. I swapped sticks around and got the same error. I'm now running memtest86 (5.01 btw) with 4x 4gb DDR3 1600 UDIMMs to see if it might be a memory compatibility issue. You guys think it's likely a bad memory socket? Any other ideas of things I can check? The memory is running at stock timings per their SPD settings... I'm at a loss and pretty frustrated. I wonder if Supermicro would accept an RMA on this or if I should just return it to the seller and buy a X9DR7-LN4F.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Hmmmm.... I would e-mail what you just posted to SM (minus the RMA/replacement question) and see what they say.

They may ask you to RMA it to them and send you the link to do so, or they may have you send in the ECC C1 errors to them.

Try running memtest without RAM in that slot?

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
Check to make sure that the pins in the LGA socket aren't bent. It's the first thing I check with any motherboard that I purchase before I put it into use, especially so for eBay purchases !!

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Sounds like gremlins. Are all the surface mount components intact? That's a risk with ebay boards.