Tp-link t1700-28tq vlans and lag/lacp

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
I'm having issues with vlans over aggregated links, both static lag and lacp.

Been trying to get some vlans out to my quanta lb6m from the tp-link without success. Initially thought it was my vlan configuration on the lb6m but as part of my debugging efforts I've tried a lag and vlan setup over ethernet to a dlink switch.
I can get the vlans to pass just fine over a single link but the second I turn that link into a lag I loose the vlans and haven't managed to get them back. Removing a link and dropping the lag returns the traffic.

Has anyone had similar issues with the tp-link switch?

aero

Apr 27, 2016
This may or may not apply to the tp-link, but it sounds like it might. It would apply in Cisco land, and with other gear as well. Typically vlan configuration must made to a LAG interface, and not on the actual member interface. I usually mirror the same configuration on the member ports as well as the Port-channel interface.

If I remember correctly Juniper actually forces you to remove all configuration from the member interfaces, and only assign config to the new LAG interface (ae0.x).

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Thanks for the reply, however I don't think that's the issue here. With both the tp-link and the dlink switches I have you still assign the vlan config to the member interfaces rather than the LAG. In fact there isn't the concept of a LAG while assigning vlans.
This worked fine dlink to dlink.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Hey Aero....

Turns out you are actually right!

The web gui is busted with the t1700-28tq. After much playing and testing I noticed that the default vlan 1 actually shows a port channel + the individual ports when added to a LAG. However adding any other vlans to that LAG only adds the ports and not the port channel.

But I could manually add the port-channel via cli. It then shows up via the web gui and traffic flows...

Apologies for doubting your wisdom ;)

aero

Apr 27, 2016
You're welcome, I'm glad the advice was helpful. I'm always a bit wary of the GUIs on consumer/pro-sumer gear. Lucky those tp-links have a real CLI!