Toshiba PX0SNF080 800GB 12gb SAS -$459 - 40+ drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
It looks like someone is unloading a TON of 12gb SAS drives: Toshiba PX03SNF080 800GB 12GBIT s SAS Enterprise Solid State Drive SSD New | eBay

I think that unlike the PX02's these are read focused drives. 40+ available for those like @dba and @Chuckleb that have work farms to feed.

Here's the specs: PX03SNB160, PX03SNF*** Series | Enterprise SSD | TOSHIBA Semiconductor & Storage Products Company | Americas

Slow write speeds (rated at 380mb/s) but 1.1gb/s write speeds. Benchmarks of the 1.6TB version listed on that page have already been done: http://www.servethehome.com/toshiba-px03snb160-16tb-sas-3-ssd-quick-benchmarks/ but the 1.6TB one is supposed to be slower.

For $459 it is over the $0.50/GB limit we've been using, but this is a 12gb/s SAS drive and the write endurance is still well more than a S3500's.

Reactions: Biren78 and T_Minus

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Nice to see more 12Gb/s drives showing up :)
+1 to that.

These are more expensive per GB than the 1.6TB ones were. If you wanted to build a fast array with more drives this better. Checked ebay this morning and these are basically the same price as the cheapest Intel S3500's up right now.

Here is my search: 800gb SSD | eBay

I think this is the most of these 12gb drives we have seen in the past few months on auction at the same time.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
With that many, my only concern is that in a week or two if unsold they sell for less. The counter is true too tho. We saw the PX02's sell for way more over time.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
A deal today is an even better deal a week or month from now in technology :)

With that and the realization that I have more storage than I already need, have a back log of 30+ SSD to review/test and limited time for these projects I've decided to stop acquiring SSD unless they're NVME or 1TB or >. Then I realized if I waited probably only 6-12mo I could go 100% SSD NAS/Storage... oh how things are changing in the next 6mo-15mo.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
the write specs seem low, what gives there?
That is common for the read optimized class of drives. ZIL is an example of write optimized. Transactional DB another. If you are using SSDs to store data that is less frequently changed but retrieved often, these are very good. Here's an example, I'd bet the front page site (Wordpress if I'm remembering right) probably has like 50MB of data written a day and probably serves 10's of GB. The forums MAYBE write 100MB/ day with all the logging and pictures and stuff. These drives are rated at being able to refresh all data on the drive in a 4K random pattern each day. Sequential writes like image files would allow you to write more data since that is less stressful on the eMLC.

Sandisk's LB1606R was an example of a big drive that had bad write but good read for the day. The SanDisk Cloudspeed eco has only a 3 yr warranty using consumer NAND and has faster read speeds.

These toshiba drives are cheaper than the high write endurance drives but have way more than most of us will use in most of our workloads and read speeds are awesome. I may have bought one for initial testing to confirm, but looking at those benchmarks and reading specs it makes sense.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I guess I should have inferred that these were more read optimized than write. I wonder if that could be a dynamic option in the firmware somewhere to understand the pattern of reads/writes and bias the drive one way or the other.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I guess I should have inferred that these were more read optimized than write. I wonder if that could be a dynamic option in the firmware somewhere to understand the pattern of reads/writes and bias the drive one way or the other.
Over provisioning for endurance. I don't know about write speeds.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
Anyone know if these are compatible with Dell's PERC H730? Thinking of getting these as a backup for my Samsung drives that are on their way... I have some R530's coming that would really benefit from some fast SSD's but the budget is tight...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Toshiba PX03SMF080 800GB AS SSD.JPG

And before you think write is slow here is a Samsung 845DC EVO/ SM853T sitting in the next slot over
Samsung 845DC EVO 480GB AS SSD.JPG

That puts 12K SAS into a bit more perspective even though the 800GB drive is a "read optimized" drive with low (still more than the Samsung) endurance.

Reactions: T_Minus