Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
lets wait and see the next bios update .... STH in their reviews already said it draws more power then j4125 but it has more performance

the problem from where i see it is the bios and board implementation .... im still waiting to see if CW will make a bios update that will get the power down without cutting the cpu freq...

as this video shows.... there is a diference betweeen v1 and v3/v4 boards while using the same cpu....and the difference is significant

1666601620913.png

so is really hard to compare apples to apples right now, since the same cpu is behaving different on almost the same board

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
no, i think is v2 or v1 ... from what i know the new model does not have the leds for HDD and power next to the nics....and the new one does not come with serial port

in the thumbnail of the YT video i posted you can see the difference between old an new ....

omrij

Sep 8, 2022
But the 6 Port one posted today (not even listed on their site), although it's i225 it's newer

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
Other thing to consider is this isn't a HW switch with all offload acceleration in HW.
I don't have any box yet, but I guess high LAN trafic in all those box ports could generate a lot of CPU load.
As I see it, traffic will have to go to the cpu or at least to the LAN port driver run by cpu and will generate a lot of IRQs.
Probably driver will buffer packets, to deal will less irqs, but still cpu will have to send all packets from one lan port to the other.

Has anyone tested what is the LAN/LAN speed and see what is the CPU load?
Will need 2 computers connected to box LAN ports and generate traffic between them, so the only load in box is from traffic in LAN.

Last edited:

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
Other thing to consider is this isn't a HW switch with all offload acceleration in HW.
I don't have any box yet, but I guess high LAN trafic in all those box ports could generate a lot of CPU load.
As I see it, traffic will have to go to the cpu or at least to the LAN port driver run by cpu and will generate a lot of IRQs.
Probably driver will buffer packets, to deal will less irqs, but still cpu will have to send all packets from one lan port to the other.

Will need 2 computers connected to box LAN ports and generate traffic between them, so the only load in box is from traffic in LAN.
I'm running proxmox on my 5105 V4 with 11 VM/Containers .. opnSense being one of them. With my 1Gb connection maxed, opnSense uses about 40% CPU. My LAN is fairly busy with traffic. I run ten IP cameras that are constantly streaming.. mind you, video compression is pretty good these days.

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017

around 60% between 2x 2.5g lan lan

Reactions: sqrwv

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
around 60% between 2x 2.5g lan lan
Thanks, that's what I was expecting to see, but had no idea how much load it could be and that is only half duplex in both ports.
Were you running iperf inside the box or was just the lan traffic passing?
If nothing else was running inside the box, your value can give a very good idea of the total ports bandwidth, limited by total cpu.

It shows this isn't a switch, it can't cope with all ports at max bandwidth, but can do up to max xxGbits of total bandwidth for all LAN ports. Limited by total free cpu, even more limited if other tasks are also using a lot of CPU.
Just needs to quantify how much total bandwidth is possible.

It is expected, we have to use a switch if more bandwidth is needed in our LAN.

Last edited:

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
Thanks, that's what I was expecting to see, but had no idea how much load it could be and that is only half duplex in both ports.
Were you running iperf inside the box or was just the lan traffic passing?
If nothing else was running inside the box, your value can give a very good idea of the total ports bandwidth, limited by total cpu.

It shows this isn't a switch, it can't cope with all ports at max bandwidth, but can do up to max xxGbits of total bandwidth for all LAN ports. Limited by total free cpu, even more limited if other tasks are also using a lot of CPU.
Just needs to quantify how much total bandwidth is possible.

It is expected, we have to use a switch if more bandwidth is needed in our LAN.
I think that i did an iperf between the nas on igc2 and the desktop on igc3, but i tested also between igc2 and the box itself, i should redo some of them.

Reactions: sqrwv

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
I think I'm pretty much sold on N5105 higher performace over older J4125, the hell with the energy bill :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Still no takers on the Ryzen models :( According to AliExpress they've sold a number of units - but nobody has spoken up about the quality and reliability . . . . Hard to find ANY information except for a nice Chinese video : Ryzen 5825U i226 Firewall and here and here at least we are getting some good visuals from the inside!! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Becks0815

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
they are pretty expensive and way overpowerd for what most of us is here are doing with these machines ....which is Firewall virtual or not....
Wait a bit more ...the reviews will come

those with V2 machines ... new bios for you ...

and for the rest with V3 /v4 with bios versions v103 ,v104,v105.... what is you package power vs cpu freq ? .... do you see under 2.8GHZ for 19w ? .... or can you do 2.8ghz for 15 w ?

crzdmniac

Feb 23, 2016
I'm hoping to get someone else's experience here. I'm passing through a couple of NICs for OPNSense (and have tried pfSense as well) in Proxmox, and everything seems to work well unless I hit about 30/60GB of sustained data throughput; once I do my OPNSense VM crashes, ideally it reboots but sometimes it does not. I have two of these devices, one is a model with the i226 NICs, and one with i225 NICs, both seem to have the same issue. My next step is to try running OPNSense/pfSense directly on hardware, but I was hopeful that someone may have some insight. I do have gigabit symmetrical internet, and I'm about to throw in the towel and just go back to a Unifi Dream Machine.

johnknierim

Aug 1, 2022
Still no takers on the Ryzen models :( According to AliExpress they've sold a number of units - but nobody has spoken up about the quality and reliability . . . . Hard to find ANY information except for a nice Chinese video : Ryzen 5825U i226 Firewall and here and here at least we are getting some good visuals from the inside!! ;)
I ordered one from KingNovy and I will report back when I get it

Reactions: rfox

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
I'm hoping to get someone else's experience here. I'm passing through a couple of NICs for OPNSense (and have tried pfSense as well) in Proxmox, and everything seems to work well unless I hit about 30/60GB of sustained data throughput; once I do my OPNSense VM crashes, ideally it reboots but sometimes it does not. I have two of these devices, one is a model with the i226 NICs, and one with i225 NICs, both seem to have the same issue. My next step is to try running OPNSense/pfSense directly on hardware, but I was hopeful that someone may have some insight. I do have gigabit symmetrical internet, and I'm about to throw in the towel and just go back to a Unifi Dream Machine.
are you running the proxmox 5.19 kernel ?

crzdmniac

Feb 23, 2016
are you running the proxmox 5.19 kernel ?
I just stumbled onto a thread on the Proxmox forums on this. I'm giving it a go now. On bare metal I didn't experience any issues with the soft reboot/freeze after sustained downloads, so I'm crossing my fingers. Thanks for the reply on this!