Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
some more things i noticed for the N5105 :

Running pfsesnse passT the chasis is more cooler than running pfsense barebone (vm settings: 4 cores, 4gb ram,PCIpass 2 nics) . I dont know why, and is counter intuitive but is what i noticed.
Even with PowerD checked on barebone it does not seem to scale the cores down....I have the Proxmox governor set to Powersavings and the cores go down to 800MHz a lot while in PFs they rarely touch 1000Mhz or below. Maybe is a reporting issue...but to the touch ,the case is cooler with proxmox...maybe it better manages the CPU ?!?

regarding this settings :

Advanced -> Power & Performance -> CPU
  • CPU VR Settings
    • PSYS PMax Power = 176
    • Acoustic Noise Mitigation = enabled
    • Slow Slew Rate for Vccln Domain = fast/16
Changing the the 3 sections under CPU VR settings with the original bios , for me at least does not seem to produce any changes, im intreseted in undevolting this CPU
On psysmax i went down to 120 .... nothing seem to be affected .... i dont know if those seetings do something.

With the new Bios version (JK 4L-V01 CBOX 2022-6-7), at least in the while i tested i noticed that the CPU does not hit lower C states as often as with the original one..... so C8 is rarely reported on the newer bios than the original. .... this leads to higher temps and more power.

Also benchmarks with the new bios produce, as i stated before in the thread, less MHZ and higher CPU temps ....

I dont know if putting heatpipes will help the situation.... cause once the case is saturated with heat .... the next step is to active cool.
For example running a prime95 sesion at about 10-15 min after the previous one will result in almost insta temp throttle cause the new heat does not have anywhere to go .... The 6 ports models might have it better due to the bigger chassis.

My case heats up uniformly so i guess i did not ruined to much the (plane? )surface between the copper pill and the case.... i also tried to "lapp" the case where the copper touches ....so if the heats goes every where uniformly the contact betwen the case>cooper>cpu is prety good.....but the heat does not have where to go if it builds up

For a regular person (regular in terms of this forum :)))) ) that wants a PFbox ... i would go with the N5105 instead of 6005..... why bother with all the heat for couple of MHZ that are not achievable reliably due to temps and power limits. .....

Buy the midrange (as they often say there is where the true sweetspot is the midrange), in day to day task you will not feel any difference for less money and heat problems, unless ofcorse you really REALLY need that horsepower.

fazambuja

Jul 15, 2022
Well now I have something weird.

I got a NVME SSD (here) to replace the SATA I was using so I could add the fan. I come to discover my Topton unit (N5105 with 6 ports) won't boot (power light stays off) when I have the NVME installed. Any combination with the NVME (with or without fan or SATA) doesn't power on.

Is there something I need to do in the BIOS or something? If the NVME was bad wouldn't the device still go to BIOS and just not recognize the drive?

Does this mean there is something wrong with my device?
I've got the same issue with the Teamgroup TM8FP6512G0C10, it's not the nvme drive since it works fine on the N6005. It works with a Samsung 970 EVO MZ-V7S500B/AM. Both units are Topton.

dtw

Jul 11, 2022
I spent some time trying out different configurations of my N5105 to assess power consumption and found:
- having HDMI connected during boot uses up to 1.5W of additional power, depending on the PSU
- installing tlp ("apt install tlp") did wonders for power consumption with a SATA disk (6.5W -> 4.0W). For my NVMe disk it made no difference (4.8W)
- the GST90A12 power adapter does become less efficient the lower the load is. 4.0W load on the GST60A12 were 4.6W on the GST90. With higher power consumption the gap narrows (in absolute terms). The boxed Dajing power supply was in between the two as far as efficiency is concerned.
- I once removed a single memory stick to see the impact on power consumption; after putting it back in and waiting for re-training power consumption dropped by 0.3W with identical configuration.

I have a GST40 on the way as well to see how that does. Thank you for your help @yxman !

Last edited:

dtw

Jul 11, 2022
I forgot, we already know that 2x 16GB dual-ranked (2Rx8) memory kits work on these Jasper Lake devices, but I wanted to confirm that 2x 16GB single-rank (1Rx8) version of Crucial's CT16G4SFRA32A also work. This module can come as 1Rx16, 1Rx8, or 2Rx8 and has the same product number. I purchased the 32GB kit (CT2K8G4SFRA32A) and tested it for 24h in memtest86 with no errors on my N5105 running at 2933MT. I haven't seen anyone confirm that 16GB 1Rx16 modules (= with 4 chips only) work, but both 2Rx8 as 1Rx8 work fine based on my tests.

dtw

Jul 11, 2022
regarding this settings :

Advanced -> Power & Performance -> CPU
  • CPU VR Settings
    • PSYS PMax Power = 176
    • Acoustic Noise Mitigation = enabled
    • Slow Slew Rate for Vccln Domain = fast/16
Changing the the 3 sections under CPU VR settings with the original bios , for me at least does not seem to produce any changes
I also didn't find any visible changes. My board does make quiet ticking sounds when the CPU is in low power states and they aren't affected by this setting; I did see it mentioned earlier as "best practice" when I was trying to reduce power consumption. Turns out the best things I found were to disconnect any peripherals, install tlp and switch to a SATA disk.

LucidityCrash

Jul 18, 2022
I formally lodged my "return & refund" dispute yesterday, so we'll see what happens, but they have until the 28th.
Unfortunately I don't have that option as mine was delivered much more than 15 days ago. I went back to them saying I wasn't willing to post it back under the conditions they specified so could they give me a partial refund. At which point they started to play dumb and asked me how they should do this.

I just raised a Paypal dispute requesting a partial refund, expected some kind of negotiation on how much to refund. Instead got a message saying they don't agree with this kind of fraud. And now offering to pay for the return postage - as if I wasn't already expecting that as part of the refund.

I know you pay's your money and take's your chances with Aliexpress but this is the first poor experience I've had in over 30 purchases including a couple of things that needed refunds.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I know you pay's your money and take's your chances with Aliexpress
True, but I don’t think I’ll be buying another one, I’ll build one like I normally do.

Edit: An interesting thing just happened with the AliExpress dispute process, the seller responded with a refund offer but when you read the amount it's for $0.00 and they left a comment that will have to send it through to the factory, and for me to please wait. Then you are left with a live countdown clock to respond. Well, I'm not going to accept am I so I click reject, because I mightn't be able to sit by the countdown clock giving the seller the full 23 hours and X amount of minutes waiting for them. Then it says something else and that wasn't suitable either. In the end, I rejected it and it automatically went straight to "AliExpress will step in now".
That wasn't what I wanted either, as I just wanted a working one sent out and the faulty one to go back, just like any normal person, but it seems like there was no option for that in the automated process flow.

Last edited:

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
although im not a rich person ...i was/am fully aware when i hit buy button, that will not try to send it back, or that would try to negociate with them. unless the product was DOA , did not arrived, or a potato instead of a minipc.

For anythings else i think is a waste of time and brain cells

When i hit Buy ..i said Bye to my money fully aware there were no warranty and all the other perks of buying from a local store. but it was way cheaper ... so 0 expectations 0 disappointments.

Now, im not saying that what Topton or Aliexpres is right in their business model, is mostly predatory ....and they most likely use the HUGE shipping back cost or time wasted on verry cheap shipping, as a protection knowing that the "westeners" will not feel 1-200$ loss as a big deal and choose to eat that instead of grinding the customer support for a refund.

what do you guys expect ? premium build quality for 100-200$?

Frankly i am amazed that this was not a scam and that the product is working (working pretty well if you put it in the intended use case) and i dont have to grinddown customer service with a DOA or magic potato pc claim.

Again, im not saying that is correct and fair in principle , but what is fair in today's world ....

Reactions: Catalin

LucidityCrash

Jul 18, 2022
what do you guys expect ? premium build quality for 100-200$?
Absolutely not, and to be fair the one that I got is not bad at all ... I agree with others that there really is enough thermal mass in the case (specifically for the N6005), it's not just a matter of the quality of the paste or the copper block etc, transfer is good, there isn't any obvious hot spots, it just gets burning your hand hot. I know these are supposed to be fanless, but adding a 120mm Fan to the finned top side with a Noctua speed reduction cable in has completely changed this so it is actually cool to the touch and its still silent.

Frankly i am amazed that this was not a scam
But if you received one with a ES/QS cpu in then it is a scam ;)

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Update: i hotfixed the smaller n5105 box with a noctua fan.
How did you wire it?

Did you wire the red leg of the L.N.A on the yellow wire for 12v or red wire for 5v of the sata cable?

Black leg on any of the black cables of the sata cable for GND?

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
on my board there is a 4 pin CPU Fan header :)
Good for you :)

But on the board that i am talking about, which is the blutech one there is no fan header ;)

I am trying to help someone else in another forum, which got the same x86 v2 with the blutech motherboard + the slim case which does not have a fan header.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
yeah ... is a semi-scam :)) at least is not and empty box :)

rig a 120mm fan from a USB .. it will disipate the heat of the case when /if it builds up and dosent cook the internals like an oven

i presume that the box will be hidden away anyway not on you desktop for display so it needs to be effective not pretty :))

Reactions: SmallSnail

dtw

Jul 11, 2022
some more things i noticed for the N5105 :

Running pfsesnse passT the chasis is more cooler than running pfsense barebone (vm settings: 4 cores, 4gb ram,PCIpass 2 nics) . I dont know why, and is counter intuitive but is what i noticed.
Even with PowerD checked on barebone it does not seem to scale the cores down....I have the Proxmox governor set to Powersavings and the cores go down to 800MHz a lot while in PFs they rarely touch 1000Mhz or below. Maybe is a reporting issue...but to the touch ,the case is cooler with proxmox...maybe it better manages the CPU ?!?
I tried to install Proxmox but ran into lots of trouble with the i915 gpu on my N5105; Debian 11 has been working like a charm but the Proxmox kernel seems unhappy on this hardware. Did I miss any obvious configuration? Even Patrick's initial review of the units seems to have used Proxmox without any trouble...

It started with the installer randomly crashing very soon after the GUI loaded. I was able to get it to install via Debian but then had to enable the "nomodeset" kernel parameter, otherwise it would immediately after booting to the login prompt start to show random colors on the HDMI display and then lock up and reboot after a few seconds. With nomodeset it worked fine but I had to keep my display connected or else it would again lock up upon reboot. I found that by disabling RC6 (render standby) I could run my N5105 headless but using more power than with RC6 enabled and a display connected.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I tried to install Proxmox but ran into lots of trouble with the i915 gpu on my N5105; Debian 11 has been working like a charm but the Proxmox kernel seems unhappy on this hardware. Did I miss any obvious configuration? Even Patrick's initial review of the units seems to have used Proxmox without any trouble...
Hmmm, it was working fine here, so I can't help you. In fact, it worked without issues (apart from the network speed bug) on all the OS(s) I tried. Which one with the N5105 did you buy?

yxman

Aug 18, 2019
How did you wire it?

Did you wire the red leg of the L.N.A on the yellow wire for 12v or red wire for 5v of the sata cable?

Black leg on any of the black cables of the sata cable for GND?
I got the 12V Fan 3pin Version:

Yellow 12V + black (both gnd) from the sata pwr connector.

Reactions: xShARkx

dtw

Jul 11, 2022
Hmmm, it was working fine here, so I can't help you. In fact, it worked without issues (apart from the network speed bug) on all the OS(s) I tried. Which one with the N5105 did you buy?
I got this one, which is a MW-JSL2.5G-4L, otherwise known as the Changwang “v2” (it has a green PCB, single HDMI, single VGA, two USB), same as @yxman has as “box2” in their post.

Edit: Could it be BIOS related? I'm running version 2.22.1282 (says at the bottom of the BIOS) and my PCM FW Version and IGFX GOP Version are identical, but my build date and time is different than what @yxman had in the screenshot, mine says "2022/05/17 10:30:49". I wonder if maybe it has different configuration?

Last edited:

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
i had no such issues but i have the v3 one ...everything i installed on it prox , Pfsens, windows .... worked fine and without any issues.

Are this issues present on other OS ? like windows or a linux distro with GUI?

Try and do a bios update if is available and maybe reset the bios multiple times....maybe it will help

i did not used the HDMI or DP ports .... only USB for keyboard/mouse and usb sticks and the USB-C for display

Also since you are in testing phase .... you can try the latest kernel .... maybe it solves something

Last edited:

yxman

Aug 18, 2019
I got this one, which is a MW-JSL2.5G-4L, otherwise known as the Changwang “v2” (it has a green PCB, single HDMI, single VGA, two USB), same as @yxman has as “box2” in their post.

Edit: Could it be BIOS related? I'm running version 2.22.1282 (says at the bottom of the BIOS) and my PCM FW Version and IGFX GOP Version are identical, but my build date and time is different than what @yxman had in the screenshot, mine says "2022/05/17 10:30:49". I wonder if maybe it has different configuration?
Maybe your memory is unstable/faulty... check with passmark memtest

its the first thing i run at least a full test on every new piece of hardware.

faulty mem in combination with an igpu can result in the funniest things.

i have proxmox running on this box since i got it (after memtest).

Last edited:

fazambuja

Jul 15, 2022
Does anyone know if controlling the PWM fans on the BIOS is possible?
Or at least how to change their speed on pfsense (bare metal).

I have two units, the N6005 Changwang, and the N5105 MW-JSL2.5G-4L; both BIOS menus are identical.

---
edit: I've got the wrong fans, the Noctua NF-A4x10 5V PWM. I will order the 12V version.

Last edited: