Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

joseph.j.helminiak

Feb 1, 2023
That is the one but I am no longer going to buy from Topton. CWWK answered my texts and we went back and forth in real time. Topton is cheaper but IMO is subpar in support. Sure CWWK is more but at least they try and they seem to be the MFR storefront. Well I just checked the the CWWK price is now way more than Topton...maybe I will just pay less :(. But I'm loving these small/mini PC's

I added standoffs to the bottom 2.5inch drive mounts and wall mounted with CPU heatsink blowing out the top. Less clutter and clean look

Attachments

Last edited:

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
The thermal conductivity of the material plays and important part as well, not just the surface area
Air is a poor conductor because its molecules are not in continuous contact with one another unlike a solid. Heat by conduction passes more quickly in a solid because the molecules' vibrations immediately affect their neighbors.

Materials that are poor conductors of heat are called insulators. Air, which has a conduction coefficient of .006, is an exceptional insulator because it is capable of being contained within an enclosed space. This is why artificial insulators make use of air compartments, such as double-pane glass windows which are used for cutting heating bills. Basically, they act as buffers against heat loss.
Yes, that is in my previous post and is part of the same argument, that a solid copper cube is a better thermal conductor than a hollow copper cube.
Let's say you want to insulate a house (contrary of conducting heat), would you use hollow metal walls or solid metal walls?
The wall thickness is the same, but metal is a better thermal conductor than air.

Reactions: johnknierim

Immortal

Jan 25, 2023
Hello,
Did anyone bought or tested this Topton mini PC model with N5105 CPU https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005097324489.html ?
I saw in this version they added a fan on top of the chassis and I was curious how it behaves or if it has any significant impact in lowering the CPU temperature ?
Thank you.
I'm not sure if that goes for the N5105 version. Silent fan seems to be only for the i5/i7 version of the box. Thou you should ask them to be sure.
It's not really needed for the N5105(assuming the right amount of paste is spread evenly on the CPU) and i would assume they want to have "fanless" option.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Hello,
Did anyone bought or tested this Topton mini PC model with N5105 CPU https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005097324489.html ?
I saw in this version they added a fan on top of the chassis and I was curious how it behaves or if it has any significant impact in lowering the CPU temperature ?
Thank you.
i think, if not that item specifically, that members have done that sort of thing by putting a small fan on top of the chassis, and it has indeed resulted in a reduction of temperatures. probably more useful for the faster cpu's than the celerons.

TombaWaterHouse

Jan 2, 2023
Sweden
Hello,
Thank you.
This is not "Topton Computer Store".
I think it is importante to raise the flag.

Reactions: wulfy23

wulfy23

Jan 27, 2023
"CWWK PC Store" than with "Kingnovy Computer Store"
OMG "TOPTON" (store: 2546008) are TERRIBLE. Marked package as delivered when it wasn't, when I clarified the address with them they went on a rant customer blaming then decided to DOX customer by posting home address on aliexpress, unforgivable. Will try CWWK thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
i think, if not that item specifically, that members have done that sort of thing by putting a small fan on top of the chassis, and it has indeed resulted in a reduction of temperatures. probably more useful for the faster cpu's than the celerons.
I've tested mine like that, and even just fixing a 120mm fan at extremely low RPM will reduce temps significantly, but like others have said, it's not going to do much in practice for the N5105, that thing can already be cooled without a fan with some breathing room to spare. I can't get it to throttle even with Prime95. Putting a fan on it won't make it faster but it will require dusting every once in a while.

That said, that design in the link also seems very inefficient, the fan's airflow only goes through a small area of the finstack, plus the fan itself takes away a lot of area that in other designs is taken by more fins. I'd also like to see what it looks from the inside, if it has heatpipes or just like the others a copper block.

Reactions: sqrwv and Stovar

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
OMG "TOPTON" (store: 2546008) are TERRIBLE. Marked package as delivered when it wasn't, when I clarified the address with them they went on a rant customer blaming then decided to DOX customer by posting home address on aliexpress, unforgivable. Will try CWWK thanks for the tip!
There's lots of reports of stores giving out fake shipping numbers on AliExpress (happened to me with the Kingnovy one I mentioned). The most plausible explanation I've seen is that they have a deadline to ship. So they probably don't have the items in stock.

I've also read that they're not really fake but they're real packages, only for another person's order. Mine was delivered to San Francisco, when I'm in the LA area like 400 miles away, and it was probably a real package since I'd paid for DHL and it was on their system. Kingnovy gave me some BS about how the package was returned by DHL and they'd ship it again.

I've not read here of CWWK doing that, and in my case they were prompt and shipped very quickly. From others' posts, the customer service also responds quickly, and in some cases even provide BIOS updates.

Reactions: Stovar

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
Is this the one that is compatible with the CWWK stores?

Going to be buying one of these suckers if it works with the mini pc's. CWWK store doesn't list a specific code for the sata (sucks its no longer nvme).
I was very disappointed in mSATA, enough that I switched back from the J6413 w/ mSATA to the N5105 w/ m.2 PCIe. I have 2 mSATA drives and only tested one of them, but it idled in the 40s and throttled in the 50s, and when it throttled, throughput would drop to 25-50MB/sec. It was fine most of the time but the throttling was obvious and ugly during backups. If you've got airflow internally, you might be okay. I have to go back and test the other drive to see if the Transcend suffers the same problem.

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
4W seems exceedingly low for such a PC even if it's at idle. That's almost Raspberry Pi 4 levels, and it's half what my old ARM based R7800 router does, and also half what my Omada EAP670 does. Even just having an additional NVME drive on my N5105 firewall for dual booting Windows added like 0.8-1W, and each NIC also adds something similar when activated, but still, having taken out the second SSD and using 3 NICs my Opnsense box is idling at about 13.6-14W.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
4W seems exceedingly low for such a PC even if it's at idle. That's almost Raspberry Pi 4 levels, and it's half what my old ARM based R7800 router does, and also half what my Omada EAP670 does. Even just having an additional NVME drive on my N5105 firewall for dual booting Windows added like 0.8-1W, and each NIC also adds something similar when activated, but still, having taken out the second SSD and using 3 NICs my Opnsense box is idling at about 13.6-14W.

Yeah was surprised by that 4W rating, I think we need to see more long term tested reviews might just have to take some salt with 4W for now.

Its that ideal balance we all want, something with very low watts and something that does not need 25 or 30watts since its approaching mini pc type power usage, ill happily upgrade to whatever does that best down the road be it N100 router or Pi 5 etc

Reactions: rotor and tusk9541

yahyoh

Sep 9, 2022
I have been testing openwrt on my unit, and holy F it super light weight lmao. and been running stable since 3 days without any hiccups,for some reason browsing seems kinda more responsive compared to barebone opnsense/pfsense installations (could be placebo) :eek:
edit: could be related to linux kernel being multithreaded compared on FreeBSD being single threaded for PPPOE?

Reactions: efahl and Stovar

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Yeah openwrt is geared towards teeny tiny systems. Only requires 128MB. at one point in the past I ran it - barely - on a system with only 4MB. Having 8GB would be inceivable if you were a company like linksys or netgear.

You're also using 0% of your disk space, lol.

Reactions: Stovar and dazagrt

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
Yeah was surprised by that 4W rating, I think we need to see more long term tested reviews might just have to take some salt with 4W for now.

Its that ideal balance we all want, something with very low watts and something that does not need 25 or 30watts since its approaching mini pc type power usage, ill happily upgrade to whatever does that best down the road be it N100 router or Pi 5 etc
Also the first review of that M9 mini PC posted a few pages back said 34W at full tilt, while ETA Prime only said it went up to 18W but it could be that he only tested with games and not torture tests.