Topton 4-port 2.5G and 2-port 10G 10th Gen Core Units and 8-port 2.5G

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
I think it's a touch on the pricey side, considering the 6x 2.5Gb is around the same price for 32Gb of RAM. Also, I'd happily trade 2 of the USB3 ports for USB2 & another M.2 slot, for 3x M.2 (3.0 x1).
If they were starting from scratch I'd for sure ask for similar features.

Current User

Aug 5, 2023
lucky me was able to get it.
it's the barebone i5 version with the 2x SFP+ cages

the main goal was:
direct wan-fiber [gpon] connection up to 2.5gb on
a router with an operating system free of choice.

et voila: hunsn to the rescue.

are there any comparable systems out there?:oops:

Current User

Aug 5, 2023
i was/am not interested in a nas-router-aio
but i wanted a NO-PROViDER-HARDWARE FTTH setup!
with this odd machine i am able to plug in
a GPON module [FS.com] connect the fiber and
run a router-os of my choice.
the machine runs at ~15w idle
with two gpons [there are two wan at the site]
two 2.5gb + one 1gb i-226v active.
under full load it goes up to ~43w with temps at ~70°C
equipped with one nvme and one 16bg ram stick.
proxmox8 hosts two ipfire guests.
stable for almost four weeks.

I am very satisfied with the result :)
now it has to last reliably ;)

Reactions: slidermike

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Review of the 10GbE one tomorrow. The video will have the 8x 2.5GbE as well.

We also have the new R86S 32GB that is a custom one David made for me. I think you guys are going to love it. We also have the updated iKoolCore R1 Pro.

Trying to finish all of these articles/ videos before we take apart the studio and move it to its new location in AZ.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Review of the 10GbE one tomorrow. The video will have the 8x 2.5GbE as well.

We also have the new R86S 32GB that is a custom one David made for me. I think you guys are going to love it. We also have the updated iKoolCore R1 Pro.

Trying to finish all of these articles/ videos before we take apart the studio and move it to its new location in AZ.
It would be really cool if you guys could do some TNSR (or FD.io/VPP on other Linux distros) benchmarks for these devices. That could help immensely with routing performance on these small boxes. :)

Also, on that RS86S 32GB box can you test how bandwidth bottlenecked the 2 SFP+ ports are due to the use of Intel 10GbE NIC chips that only support PCI-E 2.0? Theoretically it doesn't have enough PCI-E bandwidth to support bidirectional 10 Gbit/s. :)

Zer0_C00L

Jun 18, 2023
It would be really cool if you guys could do some TNSR (or FD.io/VPP on other Linux distros) benchmarks for these devices. That could help immensely with routing performance on these small boxes. :)

Also, on that RS86S 32GB box can you test how bandwidth bottlenecked the 2 SFP+ ports are due to the use of Intel 10GbE NIC chips that only support PCI-E 2.0? Theoretically it doesn't have enough PCI-E bandwidth to support bidirectional 10 Gbit/s. :)

I'm no expert, but my understanding is these use PCIe 3.0 x4/x8 (about 32Gb/s or 64Gb/s) so dual 10GbE should be fine. But would love to see testing on this, since I've not seen anything really official about it. If it is just PCIe 2.0 x4 that's worrying but to be fair for most home lab uses is fine.

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
Would have been great to be Able to have them below 1U thickness.

Did someone tried to set this one up as a NAS already?

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I'm no expert, but my understanding is these use PCIe 3.0 x4/x8 (about 32Gb/s or 64Gb/s) so dual 10GbE should be fine. But would love to see testing on this, since I've not seen anything really official about it. If it is just PCIe 2.0 x4 that's worrying but to be fair for most home lab uses is fine.
The Alder Lake N processors used in the new RS86S-N boxes have 9 lanes of PCI-E 3.0 in total. Based on the lane assignment diagram that they've provided, they have assigned 4 lanes for the NICs. Before they used the Mellanox ConnectX-3 which uses PCI-E 3.0 x4, which is enough. The Intel 82599ES NIC chips that they use now only support PCI-E 2.0 though so they will only get PCI-E 2.0 x4 in practice.

These Topton boxes might be different, but the reply I quoted was about the RS86S-N box. :)

• Sad
Reactions: Current User

Current User

Aug 5, 2023
imho these machines are very far far away from reliable powerfull 10GB routing equipment for datacenter :p
for the 'old-europe-country' im living finally FTTH is being made available and here we are backed by
the law to use own CPEs inside our premises. this law was fought for under great efforts.
interestingly the FTTH infiltrates this law at very high skills in disguise!

this RJ40 is the only machine i am aware that is capable
of meeting all requrements:
SFF
low power and quiet
SFP+ for own ONU GPON
open for upgrades

the next but not at all comparable device is the AVM FB 5590 FiBER :rolleyes:
and that is it on the market :mad:

from the perspective of an very versatile FTTH CPE this machine is - for now - one of a kind :)

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
imho these machines are very far far away from reliable powerfull 10GB routing equipment for datacenter :p

from the perspective of an very versatile FTTH CPE this machine is - for now - one of a kind :)
I doubt anyone is seriously using these in datacenter deployments. With FD.io/VPP they might actually manage to route 10 Gbit/s line rate or close to it, but nobody runs those benchmarks unfortunately.

For some context:

tigweld0101

Apr 18, 2015
The Alder Lake N processors used in the new RS86S-N boxes have 9 lanes of PCI-E 3.0 in total. Based on the lane assignment diagram that they've provided, they have assigned 4 lanes for the NICs. Before they used the Mellanox ConnectX-3 which uses PCI-E 3.0 x4, which is enough. The Intel 82599ES NIC chips that they use now only support PCI-E 2.0 though so they will only get PCI-E 2.0 x4 in practice.
These have PCIe 3.0 x16 lanes, not x9. That's the whole point of using the Core's.

Current User

Aug 5, 2023
@Patrick
eventually i am able to reproduce the 'reboot-without-a-notice' issue:
when under promox a restore of a vm [larger than 10GB] to local storage is initiated
the machine reboots somewhere between forty and ninety percent and absolutely no logs are written :confused:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick
eventually i am able to reproduce the 'reboot-without-a-notice' issue:
when under promox a restore of a vm [larger than 10GB] to local storage is initiated
the machine reboots somewhere between forty and ninety percent and absolutely no logs are written :confused:
Are you using the same replacement AC adapter? We have had such bad experiences with those I almost want to try a few different options to see. Sadly, the first container was packed for the big move to AZ today.

Current User

Aug 5, 2023
@Patrick
i used different adapters to check the powerconsumption.
and i used stress-ng for hours with full storage/network[iperf3]/cpu load
and was not able to reproduce a reboot.
restoring one or two vms -> reboot :rolleyes:

btw: imho it is totally overlooked that these machines can be used as FTTH
provider CPE [rubbish] replacement!
the SFP+ cages can hold GPON ONU/OLT :cool:

Current User

Aug 5, 2023
@Patrick
funnny quirk: were u able to power off / shutdown the RJ40s?
by chance i have found that neither proxmox nor windows is able
to correctly power off the system it stays at the very last step:
black screen. monitor goes sleep. fan keeps spinning :(

so far i have tested three devices and all show the sameerror.
only long-pressing the powerbutton or pulling the psu helps o_O

EDiT:
i also tried the built-in efi-shell: reset -s freezes the machine :confused:

Last edited:

Matt84

Jun 2, 2016
@Patrick @Current User Were either of you able to figure out the cause of this machine freezing? I have an old Qotom i5 5250u machine that does not play nice with pfSense 2.7.

I'm thinking of upgrading to this for 10Gb routing, or just get a 4 port 2.5Gb unit. My switch has spare 10Gb SFP+ ports as the 10Gb RJ45 ports don't support 2.5Gb or 5Gb, so with the 2.5Gb 4 port model I will be limited to 1Gb routing as I am today.

Matt84

Jun 2, 2016
I reached out to CWWK regarding the reboot issue with Proxmox and Geekbench and it seems a new revision is coming soon. Newer but still old 11th gen CPU. I'm not sure if it is an acknowledgement of the issue though. I linked them to this thread and the STH review

Code:
你好,感谢你的关注,我们产品正在升级,修复一些问题后,大概月底会升级为11代产品
Hello, thank you for your attention. Our products are being upgraded. After fixing some problems, we will upgrade to 11-generation products by the end of the month.

Reactions: casperghst42