TL-LINK TL-SG2008 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch,Advanced QoS,Layer 2 andEnterprise Level Management Fe

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mech

Dec 8, 2015

Just got this from newegg for ~ $75 for an 8 port model - figured I'd share my initial review..

So Far - I'm impressed 07/09/2016

Pros:
I _just_ received this, so its an initial overview - will try to remember to update it after its been in use a while..

So far, this is a surprisingly featurefull device for the price, and seems to be well made.
8 Gigabit, Fully managed Ports for < $10 port
Solid metal case - fairly weighty, doesn't feel cheap at all
No sign of the 'transformer buzz' others have commented on
Static / DHCP assignment of switch management IP - Management IP can be on VLAN (tagged or untagged)
Web interface is fast - this drives me batty with my older switches (Dell powerconnect) they are SLOW
Web interface is fairly intuitive for basic setup, and allows access to a wide range of features
SSH/SNMP management available as well as web
Mounting Holes in the back for wall mount - simply hang it off a couple of screws (Rubber feet for desktop use)
Auto-mdx / Speed Negotation seems to work perfectly

Cons:
Nothing so far - will try to remember to update this after its been in use a while

Other Thoughts:
Probably the highest quality build I've seen come out of China - device feels solid, and well engineered. The geo location feature defaults to Shenzhen china, and the timezone does as well - Don't forget to change them.

I was hesitant to buy a TP-Link device as I've always considered them an 'off-brand' - I will no longer hesitate. This device has made an awesome first impression for them, and I'm actively telling friends how much I like it!

Mech

Dec 8, 2015
Personally, I the switches are fine for their intended use. These are NOT top-of-rack switches, they are designed for home use behind a firewall. As such, I think its fine for what it does. Even the author of that blog says he'd recommend them to others.

I'm actually thinking of swapping my wiring closet switch (Dell PowerConnect 6024) for the TP-link, so I can use the 6024 in my lab. This would put the TP link on the backbone of my home network, with 4 segments and 30ish devices. I think the TP link can handle it ....

Reactions: wsuff and wildchild

onslaught

Jul 15, 2016
Thanks for the reply! I think the security concern here is that even though home users are behind the firewall, there are a lot of security concerns with PCs in a home environment. Though, once bad guys have control over home PCs, then what's the point of actually exploiting the security vulnerabilities of the switch(es)? Wouldn't it be more valuable to exploit other computers instead? Anyway, I'll make the purchase then. Thanks!

Mech

Dec 8, 2015
Yeah - that's pretty much my thinking. If people are in a position to start hacking at my switches, I've got bigger problems...
(besides, unless your locking down your wireless AP by mac address, thats going to be a much bigger security concern...)