The Official NVIDIA GRID M40 Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kendrick

Dec 23, 2012
it would be a nice follow up article if you get a chance to map out things like which models in ati/nvidia support vm video as well as any other quarks that may be hiding. since I don't have an enterprise presence most of the contacts for ati/nvidia have not responded to any of my questions. It is making it quite a challenge for me to dig up a good card to use at a reasonable price. I'm thank full for sites like this where we can get real answers and insite to these things.

ideabox

Dec 11, 2016
Hey STH,

So I tested the Grid M40 with the driver - 354.56_HpeServers_WinServer64.exe

Test Unit:
ASUS ESC4000-G3S
2x E5-2630v4 10 Core 2.2GHz
48Gb DDR4 2133P
1x Grid M40
1x GTX 1080ti
1x Quadro K1200

Unraid 6.2
Win Server 12 R2
Win 10 Pro

Firstly:
Unraid recognised the card as a Tesla M10, This was not the case when I first purchased it was identified as a Nvidia Device. As you can see the 1080ti I have inside now is under that device name.

M10 in unraid.png

The drivers are specific for 12 r2 so I installed with VNC then shut down and sent through 1 M40 to the OS. Then I proceeded to install drivers with no issues at all, GPU was recognised on restart see below;

We are in.png

After removing the VNC and setting up RDP I restarted and connected to the machine through RDP, Desktop Hardware Acceleration was present. To test is not the most scientific way but I loaded youtube and a video playback was smooth which if Hardware acceleration isn't present this is not possible. I know this because on the 1080ti its not possible. Quadro & Tesla drivers have RDP Desktop Hardware acceleration in them and GeForce don't (I have discovered a way to get hardware acceleration on RDP with GeForce once I test some more I will write a post for everyone)

So testing its CUDA performance in Windows I tested with Octane Render, A CUDA accelerated Unbiased renderer that has a benchmark called OctaneBench (See Link)

OctaneBench.png

A score of 36.32 was achieved with a single M40 as a comparison I've attached relevant scores from other Quadro cards and another with an assorted cards that are close in performance.

QuadroOctane.png OctaneSimilar.png

I then tried to passthrough all 4 chips on the board, This was not possible it would hang on boot same with 3 passed through to the VM.
Although I could get 2 in one VM running I then tested 3 vm's 2 with 1 M40 and 1 with 2 M40's and there where no issues I could run the benchmark on all VM's simultaneously. Ive attached the result of Dual M40's
dual.png

Then on to Windows 10 Pro.
The driver wouldn't install, I had to run it in Compatibility mode to get passed the OS check but then would fail to install the Video Driver.
One thing I will test as the driver is for the K2200 also which I have access to I can borrow one for 2-3 days is passthrough the K2200 and install the driver and see if it would pass the stage of the driver install then proceed to pass the M40 through.

If anyone has any insight on getting the driver to work on Windows 10 it would be appreciated :)

ideabox

Dec 11, 2016
Interesting find on the Grid M40, Which may apply to the M10.
If in a x8 slot only 2 GPUs of 4 show in OS.

Jon McClane

Jun 19, 2017
Hello, I just got two of the cards to run in windows 10. I am unable ti fine working drivers for them, any help would be great.
When installed on windows 10 I get the microsoft compatible drivers but they have yellow ! on them and say they are missing drivers
the NVIDIA_DEV.13BD.110A

Jon McClane

Jun 19, 2017
DID YOU GET IT RUNNING UNDER WINDOWDS 10?
I AM LOOKING FOR DRIVERS TO INSTALL IT UNDER WINDOWS 10

Hey STH,

So I tested the Grid M40 with the driver - 354.56_HpeServers_WinServer64.exe

Test Unit:
ASUS ESC4000-G3S
2x E5-2630v4 10 Core 2.2GHz
48Gb DDR4 2133P
1x Grid M40
1x GTX 1080ti
1x Quadro K1200

Unraid 6.2
Win Server 12 R2
Win 10 Pro

Firstly:
Unraid recognised the card as a Tesla M10, This was not the case when I first purchased it was identified as a Nvidia Device. As you can see the 1080ti I have inside now is under that device name.

View attachment 5253

The drivers are specific for 12 r2 so I installed with VNC then shut down and sent through 1 M40 to the OS. Then I proceeded to install drivers with no issues at all, GPU was recognised on restart see below;

View attachment 5254

After removing the VNC and setting up RDP I restarted and connected to the machine through RDP, Desktop Hardware Acceleration was present. To test is not the most scientific way but I loaded youtube and a video playback was smooth which if Hardware acceleration isn't present this is not possible. I know this because on the 1080ti its not possible. Quadro & Tesla drivers have RDP Desktop Hardware acceleration in them and GeForce don't (I have discovered a way to get hardware acceleration on RDP with GeForce once I test some more I will write a post for everyone)

So testing its CUDA performance in Windows I tested with Octane Render, A CUDA accelerated Unbiased renderer that has a benchmark called OctaneBench (See Link)

View attachment 5255

A score of 36.32 was achieved with a single M40 as a comparison I've attached relevant scores from other Quadro cards and another with an assorted cards that are close in performance.

View attachment 5256 View attachment 5257

I then tried to passthrough all 4 chips on the board, This was not possible it would hang on boot same with 3 passed through to the VM.
Although I could get 2 in one VM running I then tested 3 vm's 2 with 1 M40 and 1 with 2 M40's and there where no issues I could run the benchmark on all VM's simultaneously. Ive attached the result of Dual M40's
View attachment 5258

Then on to Windows 10 Pro.
The driver wouldn't install, I had to run it in Compatibility mode to get passed the OS check but then would fail to install the Video Driver.
One thing I will test as the driver is for the K2200 also which I have access to I can borrow one for 2-3 days is passthrough the K2200 and install the driver and see if it would pass the stage of the driver install then proceed to pass the M40 through.

If anyone has any insight on getting the driver to work on Windows 10 it would be appreciated :)

Jon McClane

Jun 19, 2017
Hi,

So i installed my M40's in windows 10 Pro and they show in my Device Manager (Microsoft Basic Display Adapter). All 8 plus my Titan

The issue is i cant install a driver to get them to work? All the drivers say i have unsupported hardware.

369.73-tesla-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql
376.33-quadro-grid-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql

I also have the Geforce driver installed for the titan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Hi where you able to get the windows 10 drivers for them?
I am running into the same problem and can't find drivers for them.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
why spend the time? they arent super value. each chip is a gtx 780 equiv at best.

Jon McClane

Jun 19, 2017
why spend the time? they arent super value. each chip is a gtx 780 equiv at best.
I bought them and it would be a waste if I didn't use them. I dont think I can return them or sell them.
I was a fool thinking that they are l;ike anyother cards and i can download the drivers

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
i am sure you can hack the inf file to get it to install but it would take some time to work out!

Jon McClane

Jun 19, 2017
i am sure you can hack the inf file to get it to install but it would take some time to work out!
How would I hack it to get it to install the driver?
I know computer but hacking it I would not be able to do unless I had some kind of guide