The new Apple Mac Pro has one interesting motherboard design...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Mac Pro

It's hilarious that we *still* have external power sources in 2019 for video cards, hard drives, etc. Apple at least did the obvious and eliminated them with their custom GPUs. I like it.

On the MB side, why they didn't at least go dual socket is annoying, but I guess they're sourcing high clocks rather than cores.

What do you guys think of the cheese grater?

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
What do you guys think of the cheese grater?
As someone who is in the market for a new workstation and loves Apple I am happy that they gave us what power users asked for. I just wish it wasn't so bloody expensive. A comparable Windows PC can be built for under $5K, and that includes the nVidia card I need for CUDA apps. I've got a couple of months now to decide if I want to spend $6K on the Mac and another $1.5K on another GPU and another $X on a bigger SSD and then another couple grand on monitors...

...Or give up on Apple and build a Windows box. I love MacOS. It's fantastic. But is it worth a couple thousand dollars to me to have one machine to rule them all vs having multiple boxes? My 2013 Mac Pro is getting long in the tooth, sure. But it's "only" a 40% improvement for $6,000. I really expected pricing to be closer to Dell and HP's workstations, the way it was in the past.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
I really like the modular design and how everything just makes sense. That being said, I would not pay this amount of money for a workstation. It does seem that the industry has been RGB crazed for the last couple years and neglected putting thought into designs, especially for chassis. I did RGB my workstation a little bit to see how it's like though... *feels dirty*

melk

Meet me in the wired
Nov 16, 2017
Charlotte / Atlanta
As someone who is in the market for a new workstation and loves Apple I am happy that they gave us what power users asked for. I just wish it wasn't so bloody expensive. A comparable Windows PC can be built for under $5K, and that includes the nVidia card I need for CUDA apps. I've got a couple of months now to decide if I want to spend $6K on the Mac and another $1.5K on another GPU and another $X on a bigger SSD and then another couple grand on monitors...

...Or give up on Apple and build a Windows box. I love MacOS. It's fantastic. But is it worth a couple thousand dollars to me to have one machine to rule them all vs having multiple boxes? My 2013 Mac Pro is getting long in the tooth, sure. But it's "only" a 40% improvement for $6,000. I really expected pricing to be closer to Dell and HP's workstations, the way it was in the past.
What "40% improvement" are you talking about here?

Rehmat

Apr 27, 2019

Why not install MacOS in a KVM ontop of a linux OS? Just pass everything through...