THE CHIA FARM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Lots of pool announcements happening on Reddit ...

Makes me wonder at what size pools will make sense vs doing solo mining for a while

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I think it depends on the fees. If the fee is minimal and unless you have a contract of getting 1.5 PB disk every month at 1/3 price of retail/channel, pool will be the best option on the long run by providing stable cash flow.

I was asking if we want to form a pool among the members here; I am not sure how involved it is to run a pool

TheServerGuy

Dec 18, 2016
I'm interested in running a pool but I'm more of the sysadmin than a coder at the moment. The drives are 3, 4, and 6TB drives, mostly 4TBers. It's from a recycler and they would need to be wiped at that rate. They're all SAS and most are in CISCO caddies. Mostly ST4000NM0023 and ST3000NM0023. Let me see if I can talk him down from doing an upfront wire transfer.

Reactions: Bert

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I'm interested in running a pool but I'm more of the sysadmin than a coder at the moment. The drives are 3, 4, and 6TB drives, mostly 4TBers. It's from a recycler and they would need to be wiped at that rate. They're all SAS and most are in CISCO caddies. Mostly ST4000NM0023 and ST3000NM0023. Let me see if I can talk him down from doing an upfront wire transfer.
I can code (mostly C++, some python but I can find my way given enough time), I am a software engineer but I cannot operate the software, I don't know linux and don't have hardware/infra to maintain 24/7 uptime (I can run the software on Azure). Let me take a look what is available out there, perhaps I can find some open source pool code and try to get it adapted.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i installed chia 1.1.6 under windows 10, on sata-ssd. just for testing and messing around.

but it takes about 4-5minutes to get connected to my wallet. my wallet is totally empty. no any plotting, no any farming.

yes, i allowed all apps of chia for my software firewall to make connection with internet/network.

also, every time i open chia, it asks me to import my wallet from mnemonics. is this normal ? just a note...when i close chia, it doesn't close at all. then i kill the proces from task manager. could this be the reason that chia asks for mnemonics if chia is not closed properly ?

i just try to start it as totally new user / wallet.

TheServerGuy

Dec 18, 2016
Chia GUI will ask for keys or mnemonics to import a wallet if you don't create one. It doesn't automatically create a wallet for you. Taking 4-5 minutes to sync your node is normal. Can try port forwarding or opening port 8444 for better connectivity, although Chia automatically tries to do this with UPNP.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
Chia GUI will ask for keys or mnemonics to import a wallet if you don't create one. It doesn't automatically create a wallet for you
i have wallet, but asking for mnemonics every time when i open the chia program is annoying.

Taking 4-5 minutes to sync your node is normal.
i haven't been lucky so far to get synced.

Can try port forwarding or opening port 8444 for better connectivity, although Chia automatically tries to do this with UPNP.
port 8444 is forwarded in my dsl-modem to my computer. but my computer is behind a switch. could this cause connectivity issues with port 8444 ?

because when i try to check whether my port 8444 is open, i always see CLOSED. my isp isn't blocking port 8444 (i asked for it).

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
I recently built out a nice truenas server running proxmox with 12 12TB drives, about half free but I haven't used any of it. What 100TB of media did you end up 'diverting' to the chia gods? Maybe we should do a group buy.. I have a line on 1.5 PB of drives for 13.5K
I would also be interested in getting in on a group buy if it happens.

Is there any interest in a stackable open-air frame for plotting rigs?

View attachment 18733

-Ric
Potentially, but IMO that design isn't quite balanced right -- plotting rigs don't need that much local storage (maybe 1 spinner to hold plots temporarily until they're transferred, though a SSD would be better), but they do need a decent amount of NVMe which usually means PCIe cards on consumer HW. Farming machines should ideally be connecting more hard drives than that per unit of compute. And neither really needs dual power supplies (unless you're using an absolutely huge number of drives per farmer).

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
At 1400 plots , more than 20 days around "16 day expected win" and finally got 2 coins. Good timing because I am almost out of space now, and stopped two of my plotting servers.

Now the plan is, create a new wallet on my laptop which is secure and usually off (I use it mostly taxes/etx). I assume this is as simple as installing a new chia instance but simply do not farm. Is there a simpler installation package that is purely wallet?

Also all I need to keep the private key/mnemonics safe. As long as I have them, if wallet data is lost I can recover it. Is this correct?

Transfer the coins there, I assume this is done by the gui by passing the target address (I will probably send 0.001 coin first to test)
Sell one of them next week and keep the other one. I have no idea how to do this, any suggestions?

Reactions: Marsh

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Happy for you.

Yesterday, I had 100TB disk space or ~800 plots, was shutting down couple plot machines.

Then won 2 xch. I gave the 2 XCH to my wife , she is all about crypto now.

This morning , I am committing extra 4 x 14TB to farming.

TheServerGuy

Dec 18, 2016
You can sell XCH on gate.io or OKex are the easiest I believe. OKex requires KYC. The mnemonic is an alternate form of your private key. The private key is the one thing that as long as you have you are not boned.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I'm plotting about 150TB/day across 27 plotting servers. I would share my plotting config but I'm afraid it will just lead to those CPUs and drives becoming even more expensive. The CPUs I like have gone up in price 50% in the last month, and NVMe is almost unobtanium.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I'm plotting about 150TB/day across 27 plotting servers. I would share my plotting config but I'm afraid it will just lead to those CPUs and drives becoming even more expensive. The CPUs I like have gone up in price 50% in the last month, and NVMe is almost unobtanium.
Oh well, then we will wait until the mania is over but I think people are already cooling off. Whoever would be in already got mostly in and probably some are waiting for the pooling.

I am mostly interested in for curiosity. I am using 2.5" 300GB 15K sas drives since they were dirt cheap. I bought 4 e5 2650 v4 and I had already some e5 2620v3 CPUs so put them in good use via onboard sas controllers. Luckily I had plenty of memory lying around so I parallelize the heck out of them.

For me plotting is over now so I am done with buying new gear. I am actually trying to sell my gear, hard drives and servers etc. I don't have so much but there is 1u server I am trying to offload and several of those 2.5" 300GB 15K sas drives.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Oh well, then we will wait until the mania is over but I think people are already cooling off. Whoever would be in already got mostly in and probably some are waiting for the pooling.

I am mostly interested in for curiosity. I am using 2.5" 300GB 15K sas drives since they were dirt cheap. I bought 4 e5 2650 v4 and I had already some e5 2620v3 CPUs so put them in good use via onboard sas controllers. Luckily I had plenty of memory lying around so I parallelize the heck out of them.

For me plotting is over now so I am done with buying new gear. I am actually trying to sell my gear, hard drives and servers etc. I don't have so much but there is 1u server I am trying to offload and several of those 2.5" 300GB 15K sas drives.
Mania still seems to be in full swing -- network size is growing 10% daily which is almost 1EiB / day now. It was growing at under 500PB / day when the network size was half what it is now.

Anyone who has limited plotting capacity could very well be sitting on a metric ton of storage that they will be plotting for the next 1 - 2 months even if they don't buy any more storage from here on out.

In dollar terms, our plotting hardware is worth about as much as our farming hardware / drives, and our time to plot that space is roughly a month. Anyone who has put more money into storage than plotters will probably take longer than that to plot.

If anything, the rapid network size increase and general lack of cheap drives to buy, is going to make people want to plot the space they've got as quickly as possible to get a payoff for their space before the earnings drop too much.

So I think in the first place, plotting servers are going to be in high demand for maybe another month (assuming chia doesn't moon), and then you'll continue to see rapid space increases for maybe 2 - 3 months as people plot the space they've already bought / will buy over the next month.

I figure within 30 days it'll be obvious its a bad idea to buy more space and plotters for chia, but it'll be another 2 months after that before the network growth slows as people fill up the space they've already bought.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
This explains the major jump in the growth. All flash plotters are getting much better yields now.
There goes my advantage of using 15k 2.5 sas drives.
Just tested HDD's with another system 24hrs and I'm quite surprised how well a cheap 8x HGST 600GB 10K RAID0 setup works for plotting. Like why I wasted my SX350's? @Rand__ was correct, that lots of HDD's together in a RAID0 pool do very well and scale nicely.

Reactions: Marsh and Bert

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
gate.io trades XCH to USDT, which is relatively widespread. you can trade that for EUR or USD in other exchanges.
O/c always a fee and potentially ID check, but its possible ;)

I checked their web page. Gate.io says it is illegal for WA residents to trade in their web page. O/c says they don't allow American citizens to trade. Am I supposed to ignore these legal warnings?

Trying to sell 1 chia, should I use craigslist :)?