TGTBT Ebay Hardware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Robert Fontaine

Jan 9, 2018
I've been watching for a good deal on a behringer audio interface for a couple of months on fleabay.
Suddenly I see prices that make seem to good to be true with free shipping from sellers with 0 selling history.

So of course I bought it... realized it was fishy after clicking the button...

Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 2x2 Audio Interface PROAUDIOSTAR 692761790018 | eBay

Similarly I see a bunch of other sales for the same item buy a similar but a couple of other sellers for the same product with no selling history at a similarly unusually low price.

What is the scam here? It's not obvious to me. 3 different shipping locations, same pictures - same text.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Doesn't look fishy to me. That listing has 476 items sold going back months and the seller has a feedback total of 205583.

Also, they are selling that item for $39.99 which is the price they've sold it for dating back to April. As well, same online price from vendors like Sweetwater.

Did you add the wrong link?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
@Cipher you need to click the "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you." link.

@Robert Fontaine hard to say for sure. I don't personally know how crazy those prices are, but zero feedback and multiple well below going rate on "new" items is usually a red flag. They also ship internationally and the price listed when I checked was still free, which is an even larger red flag. eBay/Paypal buyer protection should cover you if you've already bought it and it goes south.

Also this probably doesn't below in the great deals section...

Robert Fontaine

Jan 9, 2018
I think this kind of thing does belong in the great deals section. Spotting and understanding the difference between a "great deal" and there is something wrong here seems to me quite relevant. Understanding what our exposure as buyers is, is also important. I have a couple of dozen enterprise hardware items I track on fleabay in hopes of buying affordable gear for my dungeon.

Many of us do not have access to enterprise auctions or direct access to businesses clearing out their gear so we end up on the secondary market via flea-bay waiting for "deals" that mostly do not appear as the number of middle men trying to grab a profit drives the price back up.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I don't disagree that sharing information is valuable, especially when it comes to spotting scams. I just would rather see something like a sticky with some general tips and discussions and if someone has a question on a specific auction to take it to the general chat area.

I'd like to see new posts in great deals kept to just great deals. Of course this is just my opinion.