Supermicro Xeon-D 1521 CPU operating temp

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TDJ211

May 12, 2015
I just upgraded mobo on my FreeNAS system from an Avoton C2750 to a Xeon-D 1521 and im noticing through the IPMI that my CPU temps are quite high (102C). The specs do say that it is passively cooled and normal operating temps are (0-108C). I have Noctura fans installed on my Node 304. My Avoton would sometimes get down in the 40ishC range b/w 40-60C in same case with disks.

Is there that big of a diff in CPU? Is this normal or is it a bit too high?

Thanks in advance!

geerlingguy

Nov 10, 2021
St. Louis, MO
www.jeffgeerling.com
Sorry for the necro on this thread, but I just finished swapping out a little 50mm 6000 rpm fan from my D-1521 heatsink to a 60mm Noctua, and now it's silent, though it does go from about 40°C to 50°C at idle. But it stays well below 100°C under load.

I ran it without a fan for a few minutes (just relying on the slower directional airflow from the case fans), but the thing quickly got up to 100°C, and was extremely hot. Unless you're using 1U 'screamer' fans with the passive heatsink, you need a fan on top of it.

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
You can replace the heatsink with an active air cooled one if you want. Just be extra careful when you remove the old one.

geerlingguy

Nov 10, 2021
St. Louis, MO
www.jeffgeerling.com
That's the exact heatsink that came with this motherboard; I just didn't like the whiny fan on it, so I popped the fan bracket off, and taped a Noctua 60mm fan to it (wish they made a 50mm), and adjusted the expected fan speeds in ipmi. It's running great, though it would be neat to build one of those solid 3D printed brackets so I wouldn't rely on kapton for many years' use (even though it'll be statically mounted in a rack).

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
That's the exact heatsink that came with this motherboard; I just didn't like the whiny fan on it, so I popped the fan bracket off, and taped a Noctua 60mm fan to it (wish they made a 50mm), and adjusted the expected fan speeds in ipmi. It's running great, though it would be neat to build one of those solid 3D printed brackets so I wouldn't rely on kapton for many years' use (even though it'll be statically mounted in a rack).
Mine wasn't too bad, but yeah, using a real fan is ideal. These chips get way too hot for what they are.