Supermicro X9SRL-F VGA stopped working

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Agrikk

Sep 6, 2013
Oakland, CA
I have a Supermicro X9SRL-F motherboard whose VGA port has suddenly decided to stop working. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot it?

IMPI works and remote desktop to the windows OS works just fine. It's just that no amount of cajoling can make the port work. I've tried multiple VGA cables and monitors, I've tried resetting the BIOS to optimized defaults using IPMI, I've tried clearing CMOS using JBT1, I've tried disabling VGA via JPG1and using a PCIe GPU (which generates a 5 beep post code indicating a VGA issue), I've tried setting the preferred video interface to External before Onboard and using a PCIe GPU (which also generated a 5 beep post code).

Is the video port dead? Other than that the board is fine so I suppose I could run a server headless on it, but I'd rather have a 100% working board.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
maybe your 15pin VGA connector got bad contacts ( from cable bending )
but its possible the ASPEED is broken ( or bad lga balls )

Agrikk

Sep 6, 2013
Oakland, CA
Can you tell me more about "ASPEED" or "lga balls"?

The weird part is that it was plugged in and working, and then it stopped working so it wasn't that I was moving stuff around and kinked something.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Can you tell me more about "ASPEED" or "lga balls"?
sorry the BMC chip is a Nuvoton not ASPEED on that old motherboard.
if nothing was mechanicaly bricket (VGA connector) you can't do anything yourself thought instead of replacing the mobo.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Hmmmm, I have one hooked up to a KVM and learned a long time ago not to switch over to it before it arrives at the login screen. If I switch over too soon I get no video. Try unplugging the monitor and then giving it time to boot before plugging it back in.

Agrikk

Sep 6, 2013
Oakland, CA
I ended up buying a cheap GPU and sticking it in the last slot on the end (which is the lowest performing, slowest slot in the bus).