Supermicro X9DA7: update BIOS...who need DOS!

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by awedio, Jun 19, 2017.

1. awedio

awedio Active Member

Previously, I had used a modded BIOS v3.0 to "enable" boot from NVMe, documented here: NVMe boot with SuperMicro X9DA7

With the rig now being H20 cooled, I noticed Supermicro had a new BIOS v3.2.
    I "modded" the BIOS, grabbed my trusty USB with FreeDOS & went to flash the BIOS

I tried FreeDOS, Win98 boot disks, multiple USB flash disks....nothing worked, the MB simply would not boot to DOS...:mad: :confused:
    3 hours wasted :eek::(:mad:

Some googling led me to this, specifically, the last 2 posts by Tom (1/26/2015 ) and Jason (3/29/2015): http://www.bhargavs.com/index.php/2...bios-on-supermicro-servers-with-dos-bootable/

I used AfuEfix64.efi no ISO, no DOS, none of that crap needed...:)
    The command in the ami file was "AFUDOSU.EXE %1 /P /B /N /K /R /FDT /MER /OPR"
    I booted to the EFI shell, cd to fs0 & typed the following:
    AfuEfix64.efi X9DA76.923 /P /B /N /K /R /FDT /MER /OPR
    I got an error about /FDT not being a valid command.
    The list of commands showed /FDR not /FDT
    This blog post also had the /FDT error

I changed the command & a few minutes later, voila...FW update was complete!
    Just to be safe, I did the power down, disconnect power cable, power on etc