SuperMicro X9 Heavy IO Fan question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

texmurphy

Oct 18, 2021
Hello,

I'm sorry for yet another Supermicro X9 series fan question, but i've run into an odd problem.

I have two fans connected to Fan 2 and 6, and two to Fan A and B. I would like my Fan A&B to run at 75% and my CPU Fans which are Fan 2 & 6 to run at something low unless needed. Ie standard profile for those fans. From my understanding Heavy IO mode achieves exactly that.

When I powered on the machine, it worked exactly that way. All was good. Then I set my fans to full speed mode for a bit, and then brought them down to 'Heavy IO' and since then it will not yield and runs all fans CPU and IO zones at about 90%. There are no temp alarms, no fan alarms of being knocked down, I just don't understand it. Tried resetting the IPMI device. Any ideas why it does that?

Thanks!

texmurphy

Oct 18, 2021
I used ipmitool and checked the temps and they're all marked as 'ok' and seem reasonable... 30-50C depending on the component

EDIT: screenshot (before FAN 2 was at ~ 2000, FAN 6 ~ 1800 and FANs A&B were at 1600)
1665503037713.png

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have two fans connected to Fan 2 and 6, and two to Fan A and B. I would like my Fan A&B to run at 75% and my CPU Fans which are Fan 2 & 6 to run at something low unless needed
FAN-A/B is for add-on card or chassis fan and is controlled by system
temp. FAN 1~6 is controlled by CPU temp.

FANA is for add-on card and controlled by system temperature. FAN1~4 is controlled by CPU temperature. CPU Heatsink fan should not be connected to FAN-A. CPU Heatsink fan can be connected to FAN-1. Chassis fans can be connected to FAN-2~4 or FAN-A.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
in general, if you keep temps sensor values low, FAN stay at low RPMs.
check with ipmiutil(SM tool) whats going on.
ipmiutil sensors list sth22.jpg

texmurphy

Oct 18, 2021
FAN-A/B is for add-on card or chassis fan and is controlled by system
temp. FAN 1~6 is controlled by CPU temp.

FANA is for add-on card and controlled by system temperature. FAN1~4 is controlled by CPU temperature. CPU Heatsink fan should not be connected to FAN-A. CPU Heatsink fan can be connected to FAN-1. Chassis fans can be connected to FAN-2~4 or FAN-A.
I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to tell me.
My CPU fans ARE connected to Fan 2 and 6.
I have two chassis fans one intake and one exhaust connected to fans A and B respectively.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I have two chassis fans one intake and one exhaust connected to fans A and B respectively.
What chassis are you using?
If you have only two fans in it I would say connect them to the fan headers with a number (cpu controlled), that way they spin faster when cpu temps increase and remove the heat from the chassis faster.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have two fans connected to Fan 2 and 6, and two to Fan A and B. I would like my Fan A&B to run at 75% and my CPU Fans which are Fan 2 & 6 to run at something low unless needed. Ie standard profile for those fans. From my understanding Heavy IO mode achieves exactly that.
Standard – Provide standard fan speed
Full Speed – Maximum cooling
Optimal – Balanced fan speed and power consumption <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Heavy I/O – Boost cooling to the add-on card zone

edit:
the BMC/IPMI can set the FAN PWM to 30%/50%/100% only.

Last edited:

jasonsansone

Sep 15, 2020
Why not use a custom script as previously linked to? You can control each zone (Fan 1-6, Fan A-C) based on whatever sensor or data point you choose and set the curve to your heart's content.

Example for X9