Supermicro X13SAE-F W680 Motherboard Mini-Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
They sell some kind of license for the BIOS update function from IPMI but historically the MAC address code generator site has always worked for me.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The bios update function is integrated in ipmi for free starting with the x12/h12/m12 generations, you need this license if you want to manage a bunch of servers remotely with other supermicro tools.

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
Normally, it should be possible to update the BIOS through IPMI even without an installed CPU, but IIRC Supermicro charges a fee for a tool doing this, and that is why it might be not possible with the MB as received.

In any case, a Celeron G6900 should have a price in the range $50 ... $80.
Unfortunately, according to SuperMicro support, this is not possible. From a support case I opened for my X13SAE-F board not booting. They have a FAQ entry saying that the board can support 13th gen Rocket Lake CPUs with BIOS R 2.0. They just neglect to mention that it hasn't actually been released yet. I followed it up asking what my options were when and how to flash it since I only had a i5-13600K. I straight up asked if I could use a 12th gen Pentium or Celeron. Their response:

Based on the current schedule, the estimated ETA of R 2.0 BIOS will be in the middle of November. This motherboard doesn't support any Intel Celeron and Pentium CPU.

Unfortunately, this model doesn't support BIOS flash inside the IPMI due to the Intel ME firmware limitation. If you don't have any Intel Core 12th Gen. CPU on hand, please kindly contact our RMA Department for BIOS updating service.
I know there's a difference between "supports" and "absolutely won't work". It's very well possible they just haven't tested cheaper chips with the ~$500 board. I just am passing along what they said. Hopefully it prevents disappointment if indeed Celerons (and Pentiums) aren't supported...or maybe comes as a surprise if it does work.

I ended up disappointed regardless. It ended up my board was DOA. IMPI interface works, but the board never fully powers on. Immediately turns off. And that's after I convinced the wife she needed to upgrade her desktop so I could have a 12th gen CPU handy...

bambi123

Oct 12, 2022
Well my retail X13SAE-F is being shipped out from Taiwan, hopefully it is not DOA.

Will spend time to reduce the idle draw, maybe a little undervolting the CPU and reduce the PL1/PL2 limits. Then see how Server 2019 runs with 10 Hyper-V VM's !!

I have decided to go with a 12700K rather than 12900K, as the price differential for the same 8 P-cores made more sense.

bambi123

Oct 12, 2022
So newbie help required here: how do I attach an ISO via IPMI ? I have found the virtual CDROM, but what is it expecting there - FTP / SFTP / SMB, IP address it not very clear.

bambi123

Oct 12, 2022
Anyone know what the BMC Settings / Host Interface tab does - I notice it creates a NDIS Interface device in windows when enabled.

yeryer

Sep 24, 2022
SuperMicro did release the 2.0 bios for 13th gen support on the X13SAE. I had registered for notification and never received any but it's on their BIOS download site so I've ordered one and a 13900k

bambi123

Oct 12, 2022
Has anyone updated the BMC and Firmware? Confused by the firmware update process, the BMC can be done via the web-gui.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I have seen somewhere in the last 24hours a screenshot and the x13 ipmi stuff looks like the h12 stuff.

Shutdown the os first (don't flash the bios while the system is running, you will end up with an unbootable system and would need to try the super.rom method)
Go to Maintenenance -> Firmware Management -> Update
Select what you want to update (BMC/IPMI or BIOS/UEFI Firmmware), select the correct file, (un)check the settings you like and start the update process

chenxiaolong

Nov 16, 2020
The X13SAE-F doesn't support BIOS updates via the BMC. You have to put the update and flash script on a FAT32-formatted drive and run the flash script from the UEFI shell.

bambi123

Oct 12, 2022
Yes trying to understand the firmware update. So using the bootmenu boot in to the built UEFI shell with a FAT32 usb key plugged in to holding the firmware files.

T.Bone

Dec 28, 2022
I need help Completing the Update. Im not sure exactly how to do it. If anyone would give me a hand it would be greatly appreciate

T.Bone

Dec 28, 2022
I was following the directions and they weren't exactly clear. it says boot into shell then type flash.nsh BIOSnamex.xxx
what they meant was boot into shell type fs0: then follow the directions. Since I had my files on root of USB I didnt need any of the Dir stuff either. Thank you for your help.My only issue now is I want to use VGA and HDMI at the same time. I have a ORIGENAE S21T so I need the VGA for the built in screen. Yes the case is old I just finally got around to pulling the trigger on my new home server build. Im coming off of a HP MediaSmartServer and Im loving it. Im super happy with my first build so far. I went total over kill.

Last edited:

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
I was following the directions and they weren't clear. it ways boot into shell then type flash.nsh BIOSnamex.xxx
what they meant was boot into shell type fs0: then flow directions. Since I had my files on root of USB I didnt need any of the Dir stuff either. Thank you for your help.My only issue now is I wasn't to use VGA and HDMI at the same. I have a ORIGENAE S21T so I need the VGA for the built in screen. Yes the case is old I just finally got around to pulling the trigger and I love it. Im super happy with my first build.
Take a look at this configuration: Notes about Supermicro X11SCA-F

driesmp

Apr 21, 2023
And how about the reverse: Does this motherboard allow one to use a processor with a GPU, and then use both the IPMI and the GPU at the same time (e.g., for Plex pass-through), such as for example on many of the X**-**H-F motherboards?
I am also wondering about this, if the iGPU can connect to a monitor (eg DP port/HDMI) or be used as transcoding device while the IPMI display keeps working on this motherboard?

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
I am also wondering about this, if the iGPU can connect to a monitor (eg DP port/HDMI) or be used as transcoding device while the IPMI display keeps working on this motherboard?
Yes need to update max tolud setting and some video settings per my link above.