1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supermicro X11SPH-nCTF

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by Patrick, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

It looks like the Supermicro X11SPH-nCTF is going to be one of our first motherboards to review. I got to see one in person today and it certainly looks awesome. LSI SAS + Intel SATA, 10GbE, and Oculink NVMe headers plus lots of expansion. This plus Xeon Bronze and Silver are going to put a lot of pressure on older generation DP storage boxes and higher-end Xeon D systems.

Here is the motherboard:
    X11SPH-nCTF | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

William and T_Minus like this.
  2. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Nice !

3. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Do Oculink NVME connectors/cables exist or is this going to be the u2/whatever thing all over again :(

4. PigLover

PigLover Moderator

If you need someone to take it off your hands after the review just let me know...I'd hate to see your lab get cluttered :)

5. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it is mostly for backplane interconnects. @PigLover we have another UP system that is indeed very cool. 12x DIMM slots = 192GB using cheap 16GB DIMMs. Idle on that one is not going to be useful sadly :-/

6. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

@Patrick ok, does that mean you don't know if you have to buy a retail part to get the cable or not?

That was the u.2 issue until we finally could get them from China or ppl went direct to amphenol, and now others sell them...
    That's the issue I'm talking about.

If they come with a chassis for backplane that's awesome, but what if I buy the motherboard + backplane and need the cable??? This is the question I'm asking about if I wasn't clear before.

Thnx!

7. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

I have not seen Oculink to U.2 direct cables. I have seen chassis and systems that use Oculink to connect motherboard and backplane. The backplane does Oculink to U.2.

8. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Hmm, maybe I'm still not being clear. I too have seen Oculink on mobo and backplanes; I'm asking specifically about cable availability outside of getting it with a chassis. (IE: How it will affect us who DIY chassis with parts)

I'm using the u2 cable issue as an example, not asking if we can go oculink to u2, although that would be nice too :)

9. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

T_Minus likes this.
  10. fmatthew5876

fmatthew5876 Member

I'm really excited about this board. The onboard SAS and 10gbe means I can ditch nearly all of my add-on cards. For my home freebsd zfs server, I couldn't imagine a better motherboard than this.

The main question is going to be whether to get the SFP+ or 10g Base-T version of the board.

11. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

@fmatthew5876 I have to say, I really like this platform. I would probably get the SFP+ version if buying for our lab since we use mostly 40GBE. It is also $35 less expensive.

12. K D

K D Active Member

Is this motherboard supported by ESXi and NAS distros (freenas / napp-it on omnios). I would like to explore the platform but if the support does not exist I will wait.

13. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

@K D do you mean official HCL support or will it work?

The only question I would have is on NIC drivers depending on the version. You may need to install a newer driver to get going depending on version.

14. K D

K D Active Member

I'm not worried about the HCL. Are drivers for all the components available?

15. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Only one I am not sure of is the NICs. Will try it out, but they are Intel NICs so just need new driver package,

K D likes this.
  16. K D

K D Active Member