Supermicro X10SRH-CF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I couldn't help myself, I know earlier I mentioned that I would just run the 1U heatsink, well, a Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U heatsink found its way into the CSE-836 3U case I used for this build! :cool:

Reactions: Patrick

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Just got mine and it looks good as well. Great packaging as mentioned :)
  • Xeon 2680V4 worked out of the box and it the bios was only one version old.
  • Onboard SAS flashed easily to newest IT firmware.
  • Used some garbage Pacific Sun 2133 DDR4 I had lying around. I don't even think it's ECC :/
  • ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card works fine, but I only have a single NVME drive in there
  • The iKVM/HTML5 console is a nice change from the X9 java one!
Installed ESXi 7.0 and easily passed through the onboard SAS controller to an UNraid virtual machine.

Now I just need to find a good deal on some DDR4 :D

Attachments

Last edited:

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
Just got mine and it looks good as well. Great packaging as mentioned :)
  • Xeon 2680V4 worked out of the box and it the bios was only one version old.
  • Onboard SAS flashed easily to newest IT firmware.
  • Used some garbage Pacific Sun 2133 DDR4 I had lying around. I don't even think it's ECC :/
  • ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card works fine, but I only have a single NVME drive in there
  • The iKVM/HTML5 console is a nice change from the X9 java one!
Installed ESXi 7.0 and easily passed through the onboard SAS controller to an UNraid virtual machine.

Now I just need to find a good deal on some DDR4 :D
You are not concerned about the temp of the SAS 3008 chipset in a tower case like this? It was too hot to touch in my case, I added a noctua 40mm directly on it.

If you want to put two NVME on the Asys Hyper, you will have to configure bifurcation, I posted a pic on the previous page. It works for me with the same card.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Agreed, you'll probably want to put a fan on the SAS 3008 heatsink or at least blow a decent fan towards it. There is also a jumper to disable the SAS 3008 chip if you do not need it right now. I believe powering it off with the jumper saves about 12w of power.

Reactions: Markess

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I got all my stuff in today except for my drive enclosures those will be here tomorrow, same as the others bios/bmc/sas controller were outta date updated easily to the latest.

I updated the BMC first via the gui, then the BIOS, followed by the SAS controller (it was in IT mode already).
Running memtest now but seems solid, I booted a blank unraid install and it showed both NVME, yay.

Any recommendations on confirming the speed its operating at and/or whether the bifurcation is working? Or is the fact both cards are showing proof it is?
Showing full read speeds on both at least:
Code:
/dev/nvme0n1:
 Timing cached reads:   23306 MB in  1.99 seconds = 11721.12 MB/sec
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
 Timing buffered disk reads: 7738 MB in  3.00 seconds = 2579.30 MB/sec
root@Tower:/dev# hdparm -tT /dev/nvme1n1

/dev/nvme1n1:
 Timing cached reads:   23256 MB in  1.99 seconds = 11693.83 MB/sec
 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
 Timing buffered disk reads: 7724 MB in  3.00 seconds = 2574.37 MB/sec

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Mine is supposed to arrive next Tuesday. Given what people are saying about the packing, I'm looking forward to it. I received motherboards last week, and again today (neither from this seller) and both were damaged due to pretty shoddy packing. Honestly, how hard is it to put something over a socket, especially after I message the seller about it before buying and they assure me they will? Again, not this seller. Looking forward to getting something intact for a change.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
Mine is supposed to arrive next Tuesday. Given what people are saying about the packing, I'm looking forward to it. I received motherboards last week, and again today (neither from this seller) and both were damaged due to pretty shoddy packing. Honestly, how hard is it to put something over a socket, especially after I message the seller about it before buying and they assure me they will? Again, not this seller. Looking forward to getting something intact for a change.
I've ordered 4 boards from this seller and you won't be disappointed :)

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I believe powering it off with the jumper saves about 12w of power.

That's good to know! I know some of the older boards with SAS2008 would disable to chip electrically as well to save power, but I had no idea on this one. I don't know when I'll need the extra ports, so was planning to disable it myself.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Yes, those should work. Did your X10SRH-CF not come with the IT firmware already?

m-jeri

Aug 5, 2017
Yes, those should work. Did your X10SRH-CF not come with the IT firmware already?
No. :(

Thanks for the reply. Do i need to run the step 1? Or the jumper or reset command?

Everywhere else it is

sas3flash.exe -o -e 7
sas3flash.exe -f SAS9300_8i_IT.bin -b mptsas3.rom -b mpt3x64.rom
sas3flash.exe -o -sasadd 50060XXXXXXXXXXXX

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
You could try without moving the jumper or reset command. It will either work or not work. These things are pretty hard to mess up.

Reactions: m-jeri

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
I personally just use the super micro package and it came with a script that automatically did for me(although I prefer to have the bios rom installed I don’t mind an extra 30 seconds of boot time).

iirc it was: SMC3008T.NSH
All you need is the last 9 digits of the controller address

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I believe you can do this and it will erase, but keep the SAS address :D

sas3flash.exe -o -e 6