Supermicro X10SDV-16C-TLN4F+ - $500

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by BlueFox, Jul 19, 2019.

1. nev_neo

nev_neo Member

so were these Azure servers ?

2. mrrensing01

mrrensing01 Member

Flashed the stock Supermicro 2.0c BIOS without backing up the Microsoft custom, but got sensor data back. Currently idling ~51 degrees and we'll see where it goes after OS install.

3. afoor

afoor New Member

I’m glad you got a promising one! The board I got is damaged. Something is wrong with the power distribution on the board. Shorting the power-on contacts does nothing. Shorting the PSU power-on pins powers up the fans, but not the core.

I used the same approach - A copper shim between the heatsink and die. For those also getting boards; be sure to watch the caps on the package. The back side of the flip chips are lower making it very easy to damage the capacitors. Replacing those is no fun!

4. mrrensing01

mrrensing01 Member

Did you give it a shot with only the 4-pin 12v connected? Mine automatically powers on after I cleared the CMOS with the 24-pin connected. Don't know if you tried swapping between the two yet, but might be worth a shot.

5. afoor

afoor New Member

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately - No luck with either the a 24-pin ATX or 4-pin 12V supply. The BMC LED lights up and beats, but shorting either the clear CMOS or power-on jumpers does nothing. Shorting the power-on pin on the supply powers on some parts of the board (fans spin, power LED turns green), but the board does not POST.

6. mrrensing01

mrrensing01 Member

Wild...I can't remember what my IPMI was configured to, but it was static and I reconfigured my workstation with an IP in the same network initially. I can double check in the AM, you'll likely need to ping sweep the entire range if it is configured like mine was.

What are you using for memory?

7. samat.io

samat.io New Member

Speaking from experience—have you checked if the CMOS battery is dead?

8. afoor

afoor New Member

That will be much appreciated! I'm working to get into the BMC now. As for the memory - I tried both Hynix and Samsung 8 GB RDIMMs. Both DIMMs worked in an X10SDV-8C previously, so I believe this are compatible.

Yes - That was the first thing I checked. I've wasted hours troubleshooting a board with a dead CMOS battery before =)

9. mrrensing01

mrrensing01 Member

The IPMI address on mine was 10.128.52.212/22 and the Supermicro default credentials worked. No VLAN tagged, but the IPMI interface was set to Shared/Failover I believe. The IO shield had a "POD16 perf" label on it.

10. afoor

afoor New Member

Thanks! That got me into the BMC. I didn't find anything telling from the IPMI - Nor was I able to boot from the interface.

I'm going to attempt to boot from a 12V bench supply tomorrow.

mrrensing01 likes this.