Supermicro SAS3808 HBA firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
At work, I just came across a Supermicro server that shipped with what is effectively a Broadcom SAS 9500 in Supermicro colors. After wrestling with storcli's byzantine interface, I finally got to the point where the tool would try to flash P27 firmware on the card, which shipped with P23. "Try" is the operative word here, as the tool rejects Broadcom's official images for P27 and P27 due to an invalid hash.

So, I'm fishing for insights on this matter, before I contact Supermicro support on Monday. Does Supermicro use a custom image? If so, do they have newer versions stashed away somewhere? Is this a Dell HBA330 situation where the customization boils down to setting a different vendor ID? Are there crossflashing options to vanilla Broadcom firmware?

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Yeah, in the meantime I got an answer from support literally earlier today (got caught up with the server being weird about half the DIMM channels and only emailed them yesterday). P25 seems to be the latest from Supermicro, according to support. Two days ago, Broadcom released P28.

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
Are there crossflashing options to vanilla Broadcom firmware?
I know that the official AVAGO/Broadcom/LSI flash tool (DOS! .exe) from P7 could override ID-mismatch and also flash newer firmware, but this was for SAS2.
Yours should be SAS3, I suggest getting the oldest package you can find, grab the flashtool and use it with the newest firmware pack. Some SAS3 need a jumper set to flash in general.

And finally there is GitHub - marcan/lsirec: LSI SAS2008/SAS2108 low-level recovery tool for Linux , but this looks like it's SAS2-only.

Edit:
I upped some of my collected files there HDD Firmware Downloads. PC-3000 Support Downloads. Data recovery and HDD repair tools

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Unfortunately, most tools for the SAS 9300 and older (possibly 9400, but I don't have any) don't support newer cards. I don't have the bandwidth at the moment to play around with the card, so I'm going to use it with Supermicro firmware and see how things go.