Supermicro Mobo - Missing CPU Heat Sink Connectors?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Hello,

I have a previous generation Supermicro SuperWorkstation (7037A-iL) and I just noticed that the area you would screw the CPU heatsink into contains just 4 holes on the motherboard for each CPU.

SMMobo.jpg

Does anyone know if I need to first buy something to fit in those holes so I can attach my heatsinks to the board/cpu or do heatsinks normally ship with the part that goes in those holes?

In case it helps, here is the listing for this workstation at the Supermicro site - Supermicro | Products | SuperWorkstation | Mid-Tower | 7037A-iL with Part List

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
Hard to tell from the pictures but that looks like the normal threaded inserts that the heat sinks screw into. Supermicro has a heatsink matrix that should help narrow down what you need. Keep in mind many server MB's have a narrow and wide version. Order an active or passive unit depending on your needs and screw it down to the holes with the arrows. The listing you linked to has the active version listed as SNK-P0035AP4.

Reactions: Cipher

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Most 1356/1366 heatsinks inteded for servers screw into the backplate that is attached to the motherboard, which is what those threaded holes are.

Reactions: Cipher