Supermicro LGA1150 motherboard $30

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Not a bad board for a cheap home server build. It uses ECC UDIMMs so the memory will cost you more than the board.

Reactions: aloe

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Its way better to buy it in combo CPU + Mainboard + Cooler + RAM. These deals do pop out from time to time on ebay.
8G ECC UDIMM stick i can get in EU or from Ali for 15 € stuck
X10SL* can only take 32G of DDR3 not more.

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
I'm not seeing any listed in the specs, but will these support an i7, like the 4770S or K?
if so, would it be any sort of upgrade from a z97 pc mate board?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I'm not seeing any listed in the specs, but will these support an i7, like the 4770S or K?
if so, would it be any sort of upgrade from a z97 pc mate board?
These require ECC UDIMMs, so the CPUs that don't support ECC aren't on the list, and they (at least officially) won't work. This includes all Haswell i7 and all but one (to my knowledge) i5. Sometimes, when Supermicro specifies ECC only, non-ecc with an i5/7 will still work, but its hit and miss and isn't supported.

Reactions: bwahaha

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
Darn. I have a bit of ddr3 ecc, but no procs. Probably pick one up anyway, based on redeamon's post. Diy das is on my project list anyway.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Darn. I have a bit of ddr3 ecc, but no procs. Probably pick one up anyway, based on redeamon's post. Diy das is on my project list anyway.
Depending on where you are and what you want to do, CPUs of that generation can be dirt cheap. I got a bottom of the line XEON E3-1220 v3 (4C/4T) a couple months ago on ebay for $8.00 delivered (in the U.S.).

Edit: Huh, I had no idea they would turn on without CPU/RAM. Will have to try that the next time I have one of these out for something.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwahaha and T_Minus
Dec 19, 2020
These require ECC UDIMMs, so the CPUs that don't support ECC aren't on the list, and they (at least officially) won't work. This includes all Haswell i7 and all but one (to my knowledge) i5. Sometimes, when Supermicro specifies ECC only, non-ecc with an i5/7 will still work, but its hit and miss and isn't supported.
Running an i3-4150 on this board w/ECC.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
These are nice motherboards, but cpu coolers are a bit problematic due to the sm backplate on the cpu. The sm coolers work great, but cost about $60 (for the 4U cooler). Noctua says their cooler is incompatable with the sm cpu backplate. The Thermaltake TOUGHAIR 310 has a thinner cooler backplate and *may* work, but I haven't tested it.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
These are nice motherboards, but cpu coolers are a bit problematic due to the sm backplate on the cpu. The sm coolers work great, but cost about $60 (for the 4U cooler). Noctua says their cooler is incompatable with the sm cpu backplate. The Thermaltake TOUGHAIR 310 has a thinner cooler backplate and *may* work, but I haven't tested it.
really? I get what you are saying regarding other mfg coolers. but that is to be expected.

dynatron 1U active coolers (k199) work great and are routinely found for less than 40.00 including backplates (if needed).
sm 1u heatsinks routinely > 15.00 which if you have a chassis pushing air or strap a fan to it works just peachy.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
There's actually a decent number of options....

Pretty much any cooler with 3mm mounting screws that go into a backplate will work with the Supermicro backplate as installed. Just leave the backplate that comes with the cooler off and use the one on the motherboard.

Since you mention Thermaltake and Noctua, I assume you're not necessarily looking for 1U server heatsinks or anything? Silverstone, CoolerMaster, and others have coolers with 3mm mounting that works. There's liquid ones as well. The LGA115x mounting rings on Asetek style coolers that I've owned (Asetek branded as well as Corsair, EVGA, etc.) had 3mm mounts as well.

There's even tutorials out there on swapping out Noctua mounting for 3mm screws that will work. The tutorials I found were to mount Noctua coolers on a Dell, but the motherboard hole pattern for LGA1150 is standardized as is the CPU/Socket stack height, so if it will work with a 3mm hole Dell backplate, it should work with the Supermicro backplate as well.

You can even get cheap pushpin to screw refit kits on Ebay to replace the push pins on Intel stock coolers. As with other similar solutions, make sure the kit has 3mm screws that go down into a backplate, then set aside the backplate that comes with the kit in favor of the one installed on the motherboard.

Myself, I've usually used the SM 1U heatsinks that @itronin mentions above. Heatsink by itself for 1U applications. 2U and more height I use the 1U heatsink along with a 92mm fan on top mounted with a 3D printed snap on bracket.

Cheers!

Reactions: lopgok and rtech

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
Supermicro won't sell their heatsink backplate as a standalone item; I called them and asked. If the motherboard already has the supermicro heatsink backplate inatalled, that is awesome. I bought a X10SLL-F on ebay, but it did not have the supermicro heatsink backplate.

The pushpins are pretty marginal. I have 2 intel pushpin heatsinks with the fans pushing air down. For an 80w processor, they tend to overheat under high loads.

The supermicro 4U heatsink is awesome, but costs twice as much as the motherboard. I have a rosewill heatpipe cooler that also overheats under high loads. Under high loads, the cpu temp got to 90C, and I stopped the test. There is a overheat temp alarm that is confugurable with IMPI. It went off... I will be putting the same fan as the supermicro 4U cooler on the rosewill heatsink, which should be ok.

Paying $30 for a great motherboard with IPMI and lots of features is good, but having to spend twice as much for a heatsink isn't ideal. If you are using the mb in a 1U server, I am sure there are reasonably priced coolers, but that isn't my use case.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
i know some guys using these w/o CPUs just as power source for JBOD's external cards and fan controller. Others use these also as cheap storage boards w/PLX cards and 2x PCIe 8x. Active 1U coolers are cheap to find on AliExpress and cool 1270 v3s down just w/o any problems. If I'm not mistaken these boards have issues with v3 versions with embedded graphical chips ... 1275v3 or 1225v3.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
i know some guys using these w/o CPUs just as power source for JBOD's external cards and fan controller. Others use these also as cheap storage boards w/PLX cards and 2x PCIe 8x. Active 1U coolers are cheap to find on AliExpress and cool 1270 v3s down just w/o any problems. If I'm not mistaken these boards have issues with v3 versions with embedded graphical chips ... 1275v3 or 1225v3.
Yep, any cpu ending in 5 is a no no.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
If only they came with heatsink/ioshield at that cost.

For almost a full 2$ extra the lenovo p310 C236 boxes for ddr4/v5 come with heatsinks.
The 99$ global shipping for 3pcs to Norway is almost too low to resist :oops:

Reactions: gb00s

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
If only they came with heatsink/ioshield at that cost.

For almost a full 2$ extra the lenovo p310 C236 boxes for ddr4/v5 come with heatsinks.
The 99$ global shipping for 3pcs to Norway is almost too low to resist :oops:
Youre Longship will sink from all that loot from Vinland, Housecarl

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
CPUs ending in 6 or 8 won’t work well either. Stick to one’s ending in 0 (original Haswell) or 1 (Haswell Refresh that were introduced a year later). A Haswell Refresh CPU (1231, 1241, etc) may need a BIOS update if you get a motherboard with a really really really old BIOS.