Supermicro Industrial Atom E50-40 SYS-E50-9AP-N5 Goldmont Server 29130EC Brand New $75 $8.00 shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
Just keep in mind Apollo Lake CPUs have an equivalent of the AVR54 erratum (APL46). They will brick themselves eventually due to CPU design defects.
I was going to add to this. A lot of Synology ( I think 916 and 918 series are the ones with the issues) I'm not sure if that applies to this board but definitely check. I did find an atom based supermicro 1U headunit server I had lying around, it was bricked. Just a cautionary.

Reactions: Samir

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
Got mine in yesterday. I'm quite impressed with all the features in the bios. It even has options for ISCSI boot which I'll play with later.

Adding in the memory was kind of a pain. There's a thermal pad that gets stuck on the top cover which acts as the CPU heatsink that overlaps with the area where the memory is located.

Ended up having to VERY carefully remove the pad to put it on the cpu prior to installing the memory. Adding the included SSD was simple.
Currently testing with Windows 10 Enterprise IOT and 4gb of ram.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Got mine in yesterday. I'm quite impressed with all the features in the bios. It even has options for ISCSI boot which I'll play with later.

Adding in the memory was kind of a pain. There's a thermal pad that gets stuck on the top cover which acts as the CPU heatsink that overlaps with the area where the memory is located.

Ended up having to VERY carefully remove the pad to put it on the cpu prior to installing the memory. Adding the included SSD was simple.
Currently testing with Windows 10 Enterprise IOT and 4gb of ram.
Yea, I went thru the same thing. Had to scratch my head a bit to figure it out. Wasn't thinking too well last night.

bsmith7392

Nov 13, 2023
I was going to add to this. A lot of Synology ( I think 916 and 918 series are the ones with the issues) I'm not sure if that applies to this board but definitely check. I did find an atom based supermicro 1U headunit server I had lying around, it was bricked. Just a cautionary.
I just received 4 that i recently purchased and confirmed these are SREK6 (F1) Stepping which i believe is the stepping that corrected the issue with B1 Stepping CPU.

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
I've been using one as a 1080p media player for a while now without issue and has been decoding 4k Blu-ray and YouTube content just fine.
h264 10bit content is not fully accelerated, but it barely handled one of the most demanding clips I have without dropping a frame reaching almost 100% CPU utilization. For my own use case, if it can handle that clip, it'll handle pretty much any content I consume for now.

Light browsing with acceptable performance and 8/16-bit console emulation without issue.

10 watts on idle and 16 watts at full load, averaging 12 watts while watching a 1080p Blu-ray.
Compare that to the close to 300 watts of my dual Xeon v4 rig I use as a gaming rig lol!

It does get a little toasty, but that's expected for a passively cooled device.

Biggest issue will be the lack of official windows 11 support. But not too worried about it since I'll be loading it with W10 IOT Enterprise.

Now on to some pfsense testing on the other one...

Last edited:

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I've been using one as a 1080p media player for a while now without issue and has been decoding 4k Blu-ray and YouTube content just fine.
h264 10bit content is not fully accelerated, but it barely handled one of the most demanding clips I have without dropping a frame reaching almost 100% CPU utilization. For my own use case, if it can handle that clip, it'll handle pretty much any content I consume for now.

Light browsing with acceptable performance and 8/16-bit console emulation without issue.

10 watts on idle and 16 watts at full load, averaging 12 watts while watching a 1080p Blu-ray.
Compare that to the close to 300 watts of my dual Xeon v4 rig I use as a gaming rig lol!

Biggest issue will be the lack of official windows 11 support. But not too worried about it since I'll be loading it with W10 IOT Enterprise.

Can it do 4K HEVC decoding?

Jax_the_Gnome

Aug 14, 2014
Portland
So what are people putting in the 3 slots?
2242, 2230, Half-MPCIE?
I found these 2242 Optane 16gb drives, they are from china, but dirt cheap.

Last edited:

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Has anyone measured the power usage of these? I want to power it via a PoE splitter, but I need to keep it <25w.

bsmith7392

Nov 13, 2023
So what are people putting in the 3 slots?
2242, 2230, Half-MPCIE?
I found these 2242 Optane 16gb drives, they are from china, but dirt cheap.
I've been using these:
They work fine in these systems and they are cheap.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Single lane PCIe 2.0 for the M.2 slot per the block diagram.

Jax_the_Gnome

Aug 14, 2014
Portland
Reason I'm asking is that the manual shows this:

JEIO1 Supermicro Extension I/O (HDMI/DP, two PCI-E x1, two USB 2.0, LPC, SATA, SMBus, Power)

1700693375993.png

But then again it talks about taking a 2280 M.2 Drive also:
1700693424099.png

blakwolf

Apr 17, 2017
Tempting, but I'm sitting on two bricked QNAPs because of those Atom chips, so these are likely walking time bombs as well.