Supermicro Industrial Atom E50-40 SYS-E50-9AP-N5 Goldmont Server 29130EC Brand New $75 $8.00 shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
will it trans-code H265?
specs say supports quicksync and hevc but there appear to be some caveats around performance so you should read for yourself.

also note max memory limitation of the cpu.

Reactions: Samir

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
specs say supports quicksync and hevc but there appear to be some caveats around performance so you should read for yourself.

also note max memory limitation of the cpu.

wow 4 ram channels but only a max 8gb for the cpu, what an odd config.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
wow 4 ram channels but only a max 8gb for the cpu, what an odd config.
I don't believe that max 8GB number. The D2700 Atom supposedly had a 4GB limit and STH even showed that 8GB worked fine--and this Atom is even newer.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I ordered one this morning just before I posted this and just got a tracking number.

I intend to use it as a PFSense box so 8GB is plenty.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I ordered one this morning just before I posted this and just got a tracking number.

I intend to use it as a PFSense box so 8GB is plenty.
That was thinking with its low power (10W!) and nice array of Intel nics.

It's actually a nice bit of hardware that can be used for digital signage (dual hdmis), nvr (supports sata), router, and probably a host of other uses.

Reactions: Sacrilego and Fritz

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
On one hand, I really like SuperMicro and love little tiny embedded boxes, on the other hand the CPU is old (~2016), expansion is near absent, the ethernet ports are 1Gbps and the errata makes me wonder how long they will last. But on the other more different hand, I put 2 in my basket... perhaps I should just wait a day before getting even more hardware.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Shit, eBay is so retarded. Tried to search for 16GB SODIMMs and got acres of garbage. I did manage to find one and it was $145.

I suppose the real reason why the max memory of this little box is because it only has one slot. and a SODIMM is almost as wide as the box itself. It's really tiny. reminds of the Wyse 3040. Probably not much bigger.

s-l160dgfgfg0.png

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Was pretty excited about this but its less powerful than the J5005 in Wyse 5070.

Killer chip errata, ram limitations.. looks fun, too scary for me

can it route gigabit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and itronin

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Shit, eBay is so retarded. Tried to search for 16GB SODIMMs and got acres of garbage. I did manage to find one and it was $145.

I suppose the real reason why the max memory of this little box is because it only has one slot. and a SODIMM is almost as wide as the box itself. It's really tiny. reminds of the Wyse 3040. Probably not much bigger.

View attachment 32456
Yeah, I did the same and had to deal with the same thing. I forgot how I narrowed it down and searched in the past, but it wasn't this hard.

It might be because of the single slot, or there might still be a limitation as 16GB DDR3 SODIMMs don't work in everything. The ones I have only work with my AMD based thin clients and laptops and won't work with Intel ones. I think there are some newer modules now that do work with Intel cpus as there's more brands and models of these modules from the last time I checked, but I tend to think the compatibility will still be a potential issue.

Reactions: abq