Supermicro H11SSL-i Rev 2.0 / Amd EPYC 7552 Vendor lock)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chrysen

Jul 8, 2023
The text has been translated:)

Hi, maybe someone has an idea if it is a vendor lock or maybe the mainboard is defective.

I have an Amd EPYC 7552 (used) on a Supermicro H11SSL-i Rev 2.0 (also used), unfortunately there is no VGA output nor is there voltage on all USB ports after startup.
The jumpers on the board are set correctly. The other possibility was of course also tried.

At startup there is no beep code.
At power off there is a short beep once.

Another GPU (rx460) was tested, this one does not show a picture either.

CMOS reset and BIOS reset were also unsuccessful.

The system has also been tested without RAM, with only one or with 4.
Everything also without beep code.

All LAN ports work and the system gets an IP via DHCP.

The IPMI can be called, but a login is not possible because the password has been changed.

Via the serial interface it can be read out that a RAM test runs successfully but after that nothing happens.

I had hoped that the system would at least show some error message even if there was a vendor lock.

Had previously installed an Epyc 7551p with almost the same behavior.

Specs:
Mainboard
Supermicro H11SSL-i Rev 2.0

CPU
Amd EPYC 7552

CPU cooler
Arctic Freezer 4U SP3

RAM
256gb Samsung RAM ECC REG DDR4 2666MHz

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

scline

Apr 7, 2016
What was the source of the 7551p? Do you know if that was vendor locked given you are getting the same issue on both CPU’s

Chrysen

Jul 8, 2023
The first CPU came from serverschmiede the others from eBay.

Both CPUs had a vendor lock.
I ordered another one where it explicitly said that it has no lock on it and it worked immediately.
I have now installed an Epyc 7502p.

Some kind of error message would be very helpful.

The second seller said there should be no lock on it, but who knows if and with which mainboard the CPUs are tested.