Supermicro H11SSL-i not detecting all RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
Hello,

I mounted my server back in December with a Supermicro H11SSL-i (rev 2.0), a AMD EPYC 7551P and 128GB of RAM (4x 32GB M386A4G40DM0-CPB).

In February I bought another 128GB (4x 32GB M386A4G40DM0-CPB) from eBay, being sold as new and their package was also sealed (the anti-static bag), each DIMM on their bag. The seller is from Germany and has very high reputation and sales.

On Saturday I went to add the RAMs on the available slots and to my surprise not a single one of them is detected, I even tried replacing 3 DIMMs of my previous ones with the new ones and they weren't detected, but their temperatura sensors had values on IPMI's sensors reading list.

I also tried updating the BIOS to the latest available version (2.8), no luck.

Is there anything else I'm missing? I have my doubts that 4 RAMs sticks are dead.

Unfortunately I don't have another server to test the RAMs.

Thanks in advance.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
You could swap the dims and check if the work in the "known working dimm slots".

Have you tried to reseat the cpu? I had problems with a dimm slot with my threadripper pro system and after reseating the cpu everthing worked as expected.

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
I doubt they're dead, you probably just shorting the DIMM slots with motherboard standoffs from your case. I had the exact same issue.
Someone else suggested that on my reddit post but, the thing is, the slots are working, at least with the DIMMs I currently have, I tried all the slots with the dimms I have just to test if it is a problem with the slot or the RAM.

I'm currently using slots A1, C1, E1 and G, as recommended by the motherboard's manual for 4 slot population:

I will give it another go later today after work and check the back to see if anything is touching the case.

My case is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Server Edition.
If I remember correctly from when I put it together, I had to add stand-offs because it didn't have pre-mounted. I'm not sure about this though.

@i386 I did try the rams I know are working on the other slots, and they did work. About the CPU, I don't have a screwdriver for it, it already came mounted from the seller on eBay. According to them, it has been tested before shipping, and since I can use my current DIMMs on the other slots, I think the issue is not with the motherboard or CPU.

vegardx

Mar 7, 2024
I have the exact same case and it came with standoffs mounted. It could be something different, but I mean, what are the odds that two people with the same motherboard and case are seeing the exact same issue?

Reactions: Karbust

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
I have the exact same case and it came with standoffs mounted. It could be something different, but I mean, what are the odds that two people with the same motherboard and case are seeing the exact same issue?
Thank you for the tip, I will try it later today after work, maybe I screwed up, but it is really weird the "old" rams working on all slots and the new ones not even being detected on the slots that I know are working.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
check if the new LRDIMMs have same Buffer chip ( ICD / M(ontage) / Rambus )

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
How do I check that? I bought the same model as the ones I already have (M386A4G40DM0-CPB).
they can have different buffer chips(the 10s in the middle)
"LD0-10-DC0" is decr. of other parts
but its ok they are exact same.
imho DOA ram, return.

Last edited:

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Looking at the part-# those look like to be LRDIMMs. I'll check what my RAM was, but the numbers look same-ish and I couldn't get them to work either on my Epyc system.

E: mine were M386A4K40BB0, so 2400T speed and wouldn't boot with them.

E2: yeah disregard my post anyway, just stupid rambling.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Karbust

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
they can have different buffer chips(the 10s in the middle)
"LD0-10-DC0" is decr. of other parts
but its ok they same exact same.
imho DOA ram, return.
I will check the value of the RAMs I already have on the system to see if it matches.

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
those look like LRDIMMS, aren't AMD EPYC known to be fussy about them?

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
those look like LRDIMMS, aren't AMD EPYC known to be fussy about them?
Those are the same model I already have working, here are screenshots of the DIMMs that are currently in use. I made sure to buy new ones with the same part number, size and speed.

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Have you tried mixing 2 of the old and 2 of the new? Maybe it's some weird memory controller limitation re LRDIMMs

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
Finished all my tests and here are the results:
  1. test - only 2 new sticks (DC0) on A1 and C1 - Failed (No POST)
  2. test - only 2 new sticks (MB1) on A1 and C1 - Failed (No POST)
  3. test - only new sticks on A1, C1, E1 and G1 - Failed (No POST)
  4. test - 2 new sticks (DC0) (E1 and G1) with 2 "old" ones (A1 and C1) - Failed (POSTed but only detected 64GB)
  5. test - 2 new sticks (DC0) (A1 and C1) with 2 "old" ones (E1 and G1) - Failed (POSTed but only detected 64GB)
  6. test - 1 "old" stick in A1 - Success (POSTed and detected 32GB)
  7. test - 1 "old" stick in B1 - Success (POSTed and detected 32GB)
  8. test - 1 "old" stick in C1 - Success (POSTed and detected 32GB)
  9. test - 1 "old" stick in D1 - Success (POSTed and detected 32GB)
  10. test - 1 "old" stick in E1 - Success (POSTed and detected 32GB)
  11. test - 1 "old" stick in F1 - Success (POSTed and detected 32GB)
  12. test - 1 "old" stick in G1 - Success (POSTed and detected 32GB)
  13. test - 1 "old" stick in H1 - Success (POSTed and detected 32GB)

Pretty safe to say that the problem is not with my motherboard or CPU (or even the case), it is definitely the DIMMs.

Pretty strange that all 4 are DOA.

For better understand the tests refer to the images on this post: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ssl-i-not-detecting-all-ram.43582/post-416918
I used DC0 and MB1 to identify which pairs I used.

Motherboard configuration:

This are the 4 sticks I already have that are working:

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
have you pic of the dead ones ? have you checked for broken parts ( SMT ) ???
They appear to be Okay from the outside, here are front and back pictures:

For some reason the second image is not appearing on the preview, here are the links to both images:

They did come well wrapped with bubble wrap and a cardboard box, not an envelope, I was even getting crazy with the amount of bubble wrap used, so I doubt that something happened in transport, most likely the seller already shipped them broken unknowingly.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
They appear to be Okay from the outside, here are front and back pictures:
2 with IDT buffer like the ones you have, and 2 with M(ontage) but the 2 IDTs should work if that is a issue.
date code 1451 = kw51 2014

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
2 with IDT buffer like the ones you have, and 2 with M(ontage) but the 2 IDTs should work if that is a issue.
date code 1451 = kw51 2014
If they worked by themselves I would consider it a problem, but since not even that happens, they must be faulty.

I’m waiting for a reply from the seller on eBay, if I don’t get one will just have to do a return and ask eBay for help. Like I said on my first post, the seller has good reputation and a lot of sells, so I think it should be fine, let’s see…

Reactions: vvkvvk