SuperMicro EPYC Board won't POST if IPMI is connected?

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by IamSpartacus, Oct 17, 2019.

1. IamSpartacus

IamSpartacus Well-Known Member

Pretty during disabling that jumper would prevent the use of iKVM. And yes, I have toggled the VGA Priority back and forth. As it stands, with VGA Priority set to onb0ard and my add-on GPU installed, the server will not POST. If the I set the VGA Priority to offboard, the server boots fine but iKVM is unavailable.

2. TXAG26

TXAG26 Member

As screwy as this seems, try disabling that jumper and see how the different VGA Priority settings behave. Worth a shot at this point.

3. IamSpartacus

I'll see when I can find some down time to test it. It's being pretty heavily used at the moment.

4. William

William Active Member

Sorry if you posted this and I missed it.

Just a question... what GPU are you trying to use ?

I do remember having issues with some types, can you try running with an older card and see if that does the trick ? or try an AMD card.
    I think its odd that SM sent over a GPU list and at he end it says AMD Radeon which could be many different types like gamer cards or Pro Workstation AMD cards.

5. IamSpartacus

It's a GTX 1660. I don't have any other GPUs laying around to test with unfortunately.

6. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Hoping to pick one of these board up in the next week or two.

TXAG26 and IamSpartacus like this.
  7. TXAG26

TXAG26 Member

@Patrick I’m sure there are a number of us who would be interested in seeing a full work up & review of a Supermicro H11 ATX board with a new Rome 7302P/7402P cpu. In particular, how such a board performs in a workstation role with a GPU and what the performance difference is between 4 and 8 ram slots being populated.

8. diogin

diogin New Member

Not very sure what problem you had faced.

As far as I know, if you would like to use iKVM over IPMI you should have the JPG VGA jumper enabled (pin 1 and 2) and set the VGA priority to onboard first.
    Moreover, settings relating to serial ports, coms, serial over lan, redirecting to coms should also be enabled.

9. IamSpartacus

I did all that except if I set VGA to onboard the board would not POST. The server would never boot to the OS with my add on GPU installed unless I set the VGA priority to offboardm

10. diogin

diogin New Member

If you chose to use VGA chip of BMC instead of graphic card to boot, and you were sitting in front of your machine, did you connect your video cable to VGA port? Connecting video cable to ports of the add on graphic card would see nothing on the display.

If you were using iKVM and would like to see the screen remotely, then set the settings I mentioned above should get a working POST.

11. IamSpartacus

Nothing was ever connected to the graphics card as its being used for hw transcoding. But under no circumstance would the server boot if VGA was set to onboard in the BIOS. In fact once I set VGA to onboard I could never even get into the BIOS again until I physically removed the graphics card first.

12. IamSpartacus

Just want to report that SuperMicro support has provided me with a beta version of the BIOS to test with my setup. They claim their previous BIOS version was only tested with enterprise GPUs and not consumer GPUs. The tech made no promise this beta will fix my issue but I'm going to give it a shot this weekend and see what happens.

TXAG26 likes this.
  13. IamSpartacus

So I just rolled the dice and tried updating my BIOS to this new beta version over ipmi. To my great surprise this beta version fixed the issue. I was able to keep the primary VGA adapter to onboard which allowed me to use ipmi throughout the boot and start-up process with my add-on GPU installed.

herby and TXAG26 like this.
  14. TXAG26

TXAG26 Member

Hey that’s great news! Make sure you report that back to SM so that they can incorporate that fix into the next bios version!

15. IamSpartacus

Without a doubt.

shawn111 and TXAG26 like this.
  16. shawn111

shawn111 New Member

Would you mind uploading the beta bios somewhere? I have the same board and am running into the exact same issue when attempting to connect 2 RTX 2080Tis.

The offboard vga selection workaround works with one of them installed, but not both.

17. diogin

diogin New Member

So this is actually a Supermicro's bug :D
    Anyway it's a good news that the issue is resolved, congrats!

18. IamSpartacus

Here you go.

H11SSL_T201909131728.bin_D32

TXAG26 and shawn111 like this.
  19. shawn111

shawn111 New Member

TXAG26 and IamSpartacus like this.
  20. IamSpartacus

I will alert SM of this and hopefully they'll roll this fix into any future bios release.

shawn111 and TXAG26 like this.