Supermicro CSE-216

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
My chassis arrived yesterday, very well packed/shipped. Had a few rattling arnd screws from what I think were the pci brackets/screws. Could not get one of the minisas cables removed (had planned to use my own) even w/ a precision small flat screwdriver like I have had to do on my old HP microserver from years ago. Just left it on. Mounted up my last X9SCM mobo, proc, mem, cards, slipped in a drive in slot one that I had forgot I had layed down RHEL6 on via a network kickstart install a few weeks back and didn't even have a monitor hooked up at this point or IPMI configured for console access, 5 mins later I hook up a monitor and shabam, she's cleanly booted at a RHEL6 headless login prompt, no issues at all. Setup a vSphere autodeploy config and host profile for it and she's now booted to a stateless ESXi host running 10 or so VM's (including the VDI VM delivered via Horizon 6 that I am typing this session on).

One thing I can't figure out is the little power converter module (SM part number tb826), The system powers on auto when I plug pwr cord and resets off quick paperclip press and even shuts off w/ a pwr buttoin longer hold but hell if I can make it power back on via a short/quick pwr button press on the front. To get it back on I have to pull pwr plug, wait 10 secs, plug back in and it comes up. It even reboots gracefully from RHEL6/ESXi so color me perplexed...do I have this thing flip flopped or turned around the wrong way?...seems like I have slim to no lights on that left panel spot where the pwr module/reset buttons are either, sas trays/lights are working fine.

I'll post pics here in a bit.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Check the ATX power connector and make sure they didn't modify cable. Lots of these chassis were used for SFF JBOD and the quick/easy hack to get power w/out a MB present is to clip pin 16 (green wire) and short it with one of the black ground leeds (usually pin 15 or 17).

I bought two of these chassis from the same seller about a year ago and they had these leads clipped/shorted. Its pretty easy to put back together if you are used to working with crimp pins. This is what I found and how I fixed it: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...cro-cse-216-24-x-2-5-chassis.4405/#post-37283

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Check the ATX power connector and make sure they didn't modify cable. Lots of these chassis were used for SFF JBOD and the quick/easy hack to get power w/out a MB present is to clip pin 16 (green wire) and short it with one of the black ground leeds (usually pin 15 or 17).

I bought two of these chassis from the same seller about a year ago and they had these leads clipped/shorted. Its pretty easy to put back together if you are used to working with crimp pins. This is what I found and how I fixed it: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...cro-cse-216-24-x-2-5-chassis.4405/#post-37283
Great to know! Thanks Pig!

whitey

Jun 30, 2014

I checked and no alterations seem to have been performed on the chassis. No wirenut/green cord splice. I did however realize I did not plug in the pwr supply 4 pin connector that delivers pwr usage specs to the IPMI. Now that is working so that is cool, still wonder what is up with my front power button quick press not turning the server on.