Supermicro CSE-216 (24 x 2.5") Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Supermicro CSE-216 24-Bay 2U Server Chassis SAS216A (24) Caddies (1) 720W Supply

This is the same seller and similar item that @MiniKnight posted a couple of months back with a new listing and terrible pictures/description.

I messaged the seller to confirm that the listing actually included 24 trays as the title and the picture were at odds. They confirmed it did and they accepted my offer for two at $200 each.

I picked them up today and can confirm that the chassis includes the PSU, 24 trays and rails. No more have sold since I bought mine 10 days ago so hopefully this poor listing can get some good deals for others.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Note that @Aestr linked the eBay Canada listing - which makes sense because he's in Canada (duh!). Here's the US listing:

Supermicro CSE 216 24 Bay 2U Server Chassis SAS216A 24 Caddies 1 720W Supply | eBay

Same seller has the same chassis with a 500W Gold PSU too. Not so clear that this one includes trays, but probably does. Just check before buying. For most users the 500W PSU would be a better choice (both are Gold rated, but unless you are running some hot CPUs or 15k SAS drives you probably won't ever get over 200W in this chassis. The 500s are quieter, too).

Supermicro CSE 216 24 Bay 2U Server Chassis SAS216A Backplane PWS 501P 1R Supply | eBay

Important difference here is free shipping for USA buyers. I've had the pleasure of dealing with this seller on several items. They are top notch and resolve issues quickly. They are also open to reasonable offers. Good seller.

One note to pay attention to with this one: I purchased two of these chassis from them after the initial heads-up from @MiniKnight. The PSU connector had been modified to "auto trigger" the PSU. This is something that might make sense for a JBOD use case but is a PITA if you want to run a motherboard in it. They also made the mod in a rather lazy way by snipping two wires and shorting them together. It's easy to fix.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
@PigLover have a picture of the autotrigger?

I have two chassis that still have not been fired up yet but I'm not sure which seller they came from. Making me nervous to read that.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
@PigLover have a picture of the autotrigger?

I have two chassis that still have not been fired up yet but I'm not sure which seller they came from. Making me nervous to read that.
Curiously I do have pictures.

Here is the PSU plug. Notice that the wire from 16 (green, power on) and 15 (black, gnd) are cut and crimped together. This causes the PSU to see a "power on" signal anytime power is applied to the system - always on autotrigger for the PSU.

Here it is after the repair. I had to get suitable pins, a short piece of wire and in-line crimps to fix it. I got the pins by harvesting them from a dead ATX PSU.

What is frustrating is that the autotrigger hack can easily be done without being destructive. Get get two male pins and a short piece of wire and shove them into the connector on pins 15/16. Then when you re-sell the chassis just pull out the wire and its all back to normal.

Oh well. For me the chassis was a good enough deal that I didn't mind fixing it. Its really a minor thing in the end (as long as you know what you are doing :)).

Reactions: Patrick

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Note that @Aestr linked the eBay Canada listing - which makes sense because he's in Canada (duh!). Here's the US listing:

Supermicro CSE 216 24 Bay 2U Server Chassis SAS216A 24 Caddies 1 720W Supply | eBay

Same seller has the same chassis with a 500W Gold PSU too. Not so clear that this one includes trays, but probably does. Just check before buying. For most users the 500W PSU would be a better choice (both are Gold rated, but unless you are running some hot CPUs or 15k SAS drives you probably won't ever get over 200W in this chassis. The 500s are quieter, too).

Supermicro CSE 216 24 Bay 2U Server Chassis SAS216A Backplane PWS 501P 1R Supply | eBay

Important difference here is free shipping for USA buyers. I've had the pleasure of dealing with this seller on several items. They are top notch and resolve issues quickly. They are also open to reasonable offers. Good seller.

One note to pay attention to with this one: I purchased two of these chassis from them after the initial heads-up from @MiniKnight. The PSU connector had been modified to "auto trigger" the PSU. This is something that might make sense for a JBOD use case but is a PITA if you want to run a motherboard in it. They also made the mod in a rather lazy way by snipping two wires and shorting them together. It's easy to fix.
you already wasted my $$ hahaha. seller agrees on $175 for the one has PWS-501p.

thanks..for your posting!!

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I am interest in the $175 chassis, does it comes with 24 disk caddies?
thanks
indeed, including 24 caddies :D. these are 2.5"...
got a response from seller regarding on caddies, before submitted bestprice.

Reactions: Marsh

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Hi Guys,

Can you tell me if the included SAS216A backplane this comes with is rated for SAS or SAS2? A related product PDF I came across was released in 2008 and I can't find any specs online.

Also, if I ever wanted to upgrade to a SAS3 backplane, are the boards easily upgradeable on Supermicro systems or would I need to probably get out my dremel?

My plan is to get a 24 bay SSD system for client VM development and performance testing (SQL Server, ASP.Net/.Net custom code, Clustering solutions etc) so I'd like something that can scale as my needs grow.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
as I understand,
SAS216A is just a plain backplane with 6 x mini-sas 8087 with nothing fancy expander chipset.
I am planning to use reversed 8087 - 4 sata that I boughtly wrong 4 years ago :.
proxmox would be my selected choice..
just need 2u for baremetal machine with e3 v3 to replace N4oL.

Reactions: Patrick

canta

Nov 26, 2014
just let you know guys!

the 501P is NOT including Caddies/Trays.
I PMed them on ebay before buying, and they said "includes caddies", and made a deal based on that

Got the server case on last Friday, this does not come with caddies.
I PM again and refers to the previous PM that said "includes caddies".
They are very responsive and doing good business.
they will send me 24 caddies, since someone/associate mixed-up with PM since they should reply "non caddies included".

very straight responsive and explains the situation on their side.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
I'd buy this if it was 3.5" drives rather than 2.5".
I only needs 2U for my new baremetal machine for VMs.. since needing to replace my N40L baremetall machine.
For me, $175 was a good deal + seller straighten their mistake by sending 24 caddies :D. I am thinking only 4 would be occupied for SSD. 1 smal SSD for proxmox, 3 SSD for data.
Very responsible ebay seller on my book.

I have 19U(hmm could be 15U) rack that not much spaces... need to downsizing to all 3U for storage and 2U for baremetal, since want to keep my current rack.
I dumped all 4U (24 bays) to new lack-rack for secondary back-up (at the moment) or could sell those..

your call, your choice.

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
Has anyone had any problems with their backplanes? This probably just operator error from me being anxious to get this server up.

The case is a CSE-216, the motherboard is a X8-DTH6F and ESXI 5.5 is loaded on a USB stick. All of the 4 pin molex plugs are connected to the backplane. I am not very familiar with backplanes and I have not plugged in any of the SPGIO or equivalent cables as I don't think they are required. Am I incorrect here? I have tried SAS cables to the mobo's onboard LSI2008 controller and SAS to SATA splitters to the mobo's onboard SATA ports. The SAS and SATA controllers all show in ESXI, but no drives are detected. When I skip the backplane and plug a drive directly into onboard sata the drive appears in ESXI.

I'm guessing that this is either a jumper, missing cable or bios setting and I need to do some more reading, but any leads are appreciated. I'll probably install swap ESXI for Linux tomm to see if I have the same issue.

Thanks!

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Has anyone had any problems with their backplanes? This probably just operator error from me being anxious to get this server up.

The case is a CSE-216, the motherboard is a X8-DTH6F and ESXI 5.5 is loaded on a USB stick. All of the 4 pin molex plugs are connected to the backplane. I am not very familiar with backplanes and I have not plugged in any of the SPGIO or equivalent cables as I don't think they are required. Am I incorrect here? I have tried SAS cables to the mobo's onboard LSI2008 controller and SAS to SATA splitters to the mobo's onboard SATA ports. The SAS and SATA controllers all show in ESXI, but no drives are detected. When I skip the backplane and plug a drive directly into onboard sata the drive appears in ESXI.

I'm guessing that this is either a jumper, missing cable or bios setting and I need to do some more reading, but any leads are appreciated. I'll probably install swap ESXI for Linux tomm to see if I have the same issue.

Thanks!
on backplane mini-sas to sata motherboard, you NEED reversed cable. this cables needed Lot of 2 1M Molex Mini SAS SFF 8087 4 SATA Ipass to Backplane Cable 79576 3007 | eBay
no jumping involved, just plug and work.
on backplane mini-sas to motherboard/hba card mini-sas, the forward/stright/bypass cable needed. usually called mini-sas to mini-sas

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Has anyone had any problems with their backplanes?
Mine is working fine ( I have the 720watt version with Caddies listed in the OP from this same seller), though I have only populated the first 3 connectors. As mentioned above definitely make sure you have the correct cable. The look the same but function differently..

If not I would contact them, the Doug Deals guys seem to be very good to deal with.

I think they took away the cheap/free shipping in the US, but as MiniKnight mentioned the price seems are good + best offer.

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
canta and entz,
you called it correctly about using an incorrect breakout cable. Thanks for teaching me something new.

I installed a flashed H310 in the motherboard, hooked it to the backplane using the mini-sas cables that came with the case and my drive was detected correctly. This leads me to think that something is up with the onboard SAS of the motherboard despite it being detected in ESXI. Time to read the mobo's manual and maybe perform some BIOS updates.

Thanks for the help!

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
Just got mine for $150 + $28.38 shipping with the 720watt PSU. Asking about the PWS-501P-1R to see if he has any left. Are those appreciably quieter than the 720watt version? Now I just gotta find a decent motherboard/cpu/RAM to go in this...

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Got mine today too. I paid a bit more for shipping though, blast!