Supermicro boards with bent cpu pins

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by trumee, Oct 6, 2018.

1. trumee

trumee Member

Hello

I have a SM X11SAT-F board bought this year with bent cpu pins. Can Supermicro repair them and any idea how much would it cost?

Thanks

2. Jeggs101

Jeggs101 Well-Known Member

I think this is an e-mail to Supermicro not STH right?

3. trumee

trumee Member

I am looking for advise on what options do i have for repair or should this go to the garbage dump.

4. kapone

kapone Well-Known Member

T_Minus likes this.
  5. nthu9280

nthu9280 Well-Known Member

Depends on how bad the condition is. I revived X10SRA-F and has been working fine.

Magnifying glass, empty 0.7 mm mechanical pencil and lot of patience.

Once the pins are visually lined up put your CPU and run burn-in tests like prime95 /memtest / phoronix etc

6. Robert Fontaine

Robert Fontaine Active Member

They have repaired an x9 board for me with damaged cpu pins.

7. Phuc Nguyen

Phuc Nguyen New Member

It depend on how many bent pin on the the socket. If it has only 1 or 2 bent pin then you can use the needle to bend it back.
    Last time I sent in my motherboard to Supermicro with a bent pin and they fixed it without asking for any fee. I guess its also depend on your luck.

8. wildpig1234

wildpig1234 Well-Known Member

yeap, i fixed a MB with 6 bent pins . if you can, get a good magnify glass or a surgeon magnify goggle.... i also used a hypodermic needle with the tip bent into a slight hook.... as long as the pin are not very badly damaged or broken off, you have very good chance with some patient.

9. BLinux

BLinux cat lover server enthusiast

I just used my bare eyes and tweezers and fixed a socket that had about 15 bent pins. One thing to note is they can be bent in all 3 dimensions. In my case, some of the pins looked lined up from above, but when I felt them with my finger tips, I noticed a section that sat lower than the pins around it. So, I just pulled on them lightly until they felt level with the surrounding pins. The whole process took about 15 minutes.

Tha_14 likes this.
  10. sparx

sparx Active Member

Basically the only way to repair is to bend the pins back in to shape. While its theoretically possible to swap the socket with a BGA repair machine, its not really feasible. The temperature needed (plastic melts) to reheat and fix such a big component is too hard. Its not the same thing as when soldering in a big oven ( like when the board was manufactured).