Supermicro boards with bent cpu pins

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
Hello

I have a SM X11SAT-F board bought this year with bent cpu pins. Can Supermicro repair them and any idea how much would it cost?

Thanks

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
I am looking for advise on what options do i have for repair or should this go to the garbage dump.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Q: My board is out of warranty, what repair options do you have?
A: Please, first submit an Online RMA Request and we will determine if your board is out of warranty. If the board is out of warranty, there will be a minimum $75.00 (USD) fee in order to repair your board.

Reactions: T_Minus

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Depends on how bad the condition is. I revived X10SRA-F and has been working fine.

Magnifying glass, empty 0.7 mm mechanical pencil and lot of patience.

Once the pins are visually lined up put your CPU and run burn-in tests like prime95 /memtest / phoronix etc

phnguyen90

Sep 23, 2018
It depend on how many bent pin on the the socket. If it has only 1 or 2 bent pin then you can use the needle to bend it back.
Last time I sent in my motherboard to Supermicro with a bent pin and they fixed it without asking for any fee. I guess its also depend on your luck.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
yeap, i fixed a MB with 6 bent pins . if you can, get a good magnify glass or a surgeon magnify goggle.... i also used a hypodermic needle with the tip bent into a slight hook.... as long as the pin are not very badly damaged or broken off, you have very good chance with some patient.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I just used my bare eyes and tweezers and fixed a socket that had about 15 bent pins. One thing to note is they can be bent in all 3 dimensions. In my case, some of the pins looked lined up from above, but when I felt them with my finger tips, I noticed a section that sat lower than the pins around it. So, I just pulled on them lightly until they felt level with the surrounding pins. The whole process took about 15 minutes.

Reactions: Tha_14

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
Basically the only way to repair is to bend the pins back in to shape. While its theoretically possible to swap the socket with a BGA repair machine, its not really feasible. The temperature needed (plastic melts) to reheat and fix such a big component is too hard. Its not the same thing as when soldering in a big oven ( like when the board was manufactured).