Supermicro A1SAi Post Code 19 (Boot hangs) RAM populating question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Hello everyone.

I wanted to upgrade my Supermicro A1SAi that had 2x4GB RAM already with 2x8GB for a total of 24GB RAM

The 2x4GB I already had are: Kingston KVR16LSE11/4
The 2x8GB I bought to upgrade are: Kingston KVR16LSE11/8

The 2x4GB were setup in the outer (more distant to the cpu) memory slots.
When I install the 2x8GB in the inner slots the system hangs indefnetly at code 19

Supermicro FAQ has the following:
Question I am trying to boot up my A1SAi motherboard, but it hangs up at POST code 19. What is wrong?
Answer Please check whether you are using ECC memory. If yes, contact support.

I am using ECC memory...

And:
If I switch places 2x8GB outer, 2x4GB inner, the same thing happens.
When I populate only the inner slots - no matter using the 4GBs or 8GBs - the system hangs with code 19

Populating only the outer slots with either 4GBs or 8GBs works...

Is that the expected behavior when using SO DIMMS of different sizes?
Or should I expect the inner RAM slots to have a malfunction?

Rephrasing: Should the board boot up if just the inner slots are poulated?

Any input is appreciated.

Razvan

Aug 4, 2015
When I populate only the inner slots - no matter using the 4GBs or 8GBs - the system hangs with code 19
Populating only the outer slots with either 4GBs or 8GBs works...
Rephrasing: Should the board boot up if just the inner slots are poulated?
These boards are picky about memory, including dimm populating order (A1,B1,A2,B2), so the outer slots must be filled first. Using only the inner slots is a no-go. Also, using a single dimm in B1 also gets you code 19 (it works in A1 though).

Reactions: Kristian

flavio3d2009

Nov 16, 2018
Good afternoon all i am with a boot problem on my server with motherboard does not boot the screen goes black and with the following message, System Initializing... 19. I am with a PCI Express card and desabilitei the VGA. Can someone help me ?