SuperMicro 835 ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
A bit stumped here...

Manual: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/chassis/3U/SC835X.pdf
Chassis Page: Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 3U | SC835XTQ-R982B
Motehrboard Page: Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10DRX

Pictures in the manual show a 2P motherboard, it's made to handle their large motherboard I have linked above. Yet there's only 1 8-Pine motherboard connection? Are you kidding me?

What's this connector for then? It says it's for the motherboard but obviously the wrong connection.

My thought is I'm going to have to use one of the molex or sata power cables with an 8-pin adapter... that really sucks because I'm hoping to cram 8x NVME 2.5" on the front SATA/SAS via custom adapter... so I'm going to have to power 8x Enterprise NVME from 2x MOLEX with splitters :(

Pictures: Dropbox - SM-835
(Yes, I'm aware the HSF are backwards, mobo was on test bench and that's just how they went on and I didn't want to re-do paste while testing. That's why there's a pink note telling me too, ha ha.)

Questions:
- What's that "Motherboard" connection for if it's not the RIGHT 8-pin?
- This Chassis has 4x GPU can I utilize those wires for additional molex or 8-pin? I know the PSU has the ooomph to power the system + the drives since it's 4x GPU capable.

Red_Devil_24

Jan 2, 2017
At first I thought it was an EPS12V but the keyway is wrong and it's not a pcie 8pin either.
You could certainly use those wire to power your drives. yellow = 12V and black = ground

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
It's listed on page B-2 of the manual. It's additional power for the CPU(s).....assuming your motherboard has the connector.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
It's listed on page B-2 of the manual. It's additional power for the CPU(s).....assuming your motherboard has the connector.
Yeah, it seems to be some 'special' connector which is odd considering my motherboard is one of the very few sized large enough to fit properly in this chassis, and it doesn't have the 4 pin power I need or the usual 8 but instead some funky one! Very upsetting.

My SuperMicro JBOD #3 boards arrive today for silent SSD chassis ;) so I'm going to just use adapters to get this chassis going since as of now it's my SAN chassis. If it really doesn't work out I have 2 of the 4U I can use that are also sized for this motherboard, just more wasted space in the 4U but maybe quieter overall and some room to squeeze some SSD ;) we'll see :)