Supermicro 8-node MicroCloud fully loaded

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
This is why we don't shoot with tilt-shift lenses...makes that thing look super tiny.

Reactions: marcoi

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I've got a fully loaded E3 MicroCloud. It's pretty freaking awesome. Downsides to these over a traditional blade enclosure:

1) Cable management is a beast. The only shared bus is power, so you've got cables out the wazoo connected to the rear, and removing a single blade can be a chore.
2) No integrated switch. You'll need traditional network infrastructure.
3) Compared to traditional height/width blades, you only have a single PCIe slot. Do you want Infiniband? SFF-8644? An x8 M.2 adapter? Phi? Better choose, you only get one.

Aside from that, it's typical SuperMicro awesomeness. Available SATA port for a SuperDOM or similar. Internal USB if you want to boot off a thumb drive. Quality components. Low fan noise. Decent power draw. IPMI per blade. Excellent airflow design. I spent a fortune on mine new years ago, and don't regret it at all.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I've got a fully loaded E3 MicroCloud. It's pretty freaking awesome. Downsides to these over a traditional blade enclosure:

1) Cable management is a beast. The only shared bus is power, so you've got cables out the wazoo connected to the rear, and removing a single blade can be a chore.
2) No integrated switch. You'll need traditional network infrastructure.
3) Compared to traditional height/width blades, you only have a single PCIe slot. Do you want Infiniband? SFF-8644? An x8 M.2 adapter? Phi? Better choose, you only get one.

Aside from that, it's typical SuperMicro awesomeness. Available SATA port for a SuperDOM or similar. Internal USB if you want to boot off a thumb drive. Quality components. Low fan noise. Decent power draw. IPMI per blade. Excellent airflow design. I spent a fortune on mine new years ago, and don't regret it at all.
thanks for sharing your experience. do you have a way to quantify the statement "low fan noise" and "decent power draw"?

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
thanks for sharing your experience. do you have a way to quantify the statement "low fan noise" and "decent power draw"?
I've never ran the MicroCloud without the two 846s humming along under it, but I believe I last measured the noise level at 60dBA @ 3' for the full rack. You can hold a conversation in the same room without raising your voice. I've got a noisy Infiniband switch running in the rack right now, so I can't re-measure. IIRC, under light load, the MicroCloud pulls 3A. Of course, this is with E3v3s, not with D1541s, so that number will likely be different.

Robert Fontaine

Jan 9, 2018
You guys have an entirely different concept of quiet than I. I remember starting up my first server in the basement and thinking that a Cesna was taking off. Did not pass the wife test. Not sure what I would do with a rack of blades but it would be fun to play with.

Reactions: frogtech

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Easier to service maybe, but I'd rather microblade over microcloud. Who wants to have A+B network + IPMI + 1/4 power per node?

Microblade with the switch and higher density is 14 blades in 3U and switch at 10G. That's 14-28 Xeon D nodes. Less expansion per node but 10G switch. https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-microblade-review-part-4-dual-node-xeon-d-compute-blade/

That's why the Microblade is everywhere and the microcloud is less popular.

At $8k that'd still be a steal.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If someone were looking for a Xeon D-1541 microblade (and in northern California) I know a guy who has one...

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Dual Xeon-D blades? Now that's cool. What kind of chassis do those go in, this same 3U microblade one? Wonder how power consumption, heat, and noise levels are.