Super Cheap Hitachi UltraStar C10k600 450GB 2.5" TCG Encryption Hard Drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
My quantity 4 shipment for home finally shipped. I'm still waiting for my quantity 250 shipment for work to head out the door. I'm in no rush though, so they can take their time with mine.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
69 and 250 and they've still got more?! Wow. Someone yanked a ton of NetApp. They're probably not supported on the latest OnTap or something arbitrarily stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xamayon

Jan 7, 2016
I got 20 for $16 last week. It's interesting though, the shipping cost for mine was only $13 to Philly PA. I wonder if they charged more for shipping to people who offered less? The distance is shorter sure, but the difference in cost is pretty significant.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah not b|tching but it cost me $17 to ship 4 to Colorado. Just a science experiment for me so no stress.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
My 250 drives shipped! 200lbs in 4 boxes. Ye haw!

Total cost for shipping was $250, but I made an outright offer to the seller to pay that immediately without having to wait for an actual shipping cost.

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
Seller accepted my offer for 8 @ $15/ea yesterday, I requested a total shortly after the seller accepted my offer but they've yet to give me the shipping price.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
Got mine in and I had one hell of a time getting these running. Somehow the drives were reporting to the linux kernel that they were 512 sectors, but that data integrity was on(520 sectors). This led to lots of fun I/O errors. I ended up reformatting them using
Code:
sg_format -F --fmtpinfo=3 --pfu=0
which worked after rebooting. You can format a bunch of these by using the "-e" flag which will exit after issuing the command and allow you to format them all in parallel. It took about 2 hours to format them.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Hopefully this might help some who are looking to buy. They have shipping charges for certain quantities so call them before bidding. So you don't have to wait too long for the invoice. My offer took couple of days to get the total cost.
Appear to be packing 12/box so you may be able optimize your total cost.
I bought 32 so third box is only 8.
Even with $43 shipping, <$16.50/per drive which is still a great price.
Expecting them here in a day or two

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Emulsifide

NedLudd

Mar 23, 2015
When you are requesting your shipping charges I would suggest you give them your zip code at the time you are requesting the amount. Forgetting to do this delayed my shipment by a few days.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
I had a look at them this morning. All the drives have a similar uptime of 22,000 hours, bytes read at 662 TB, bytes written at 100 TB. Number of power ups is between 6 and 13.

Reactions: Emulsifide

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
I had a look at them this morning. All the drives have a similar uptime of 22,000 hours, bytes read at 662 TB, bytes written at 100 TB. Number of power ups is between 6 and 13.
How do you have yours set up? I wasn't able to pull that data through a smart request in ESXi. 22,000 hours is 2.5 years, which I would think is a decent interval for a large data warehouse to refresh their drives.

As far as the reads and writes go, that's 722GB of reading and 109GB of writing per day. That's pretty good.

Oh and 106 of my 250 drives just showed up:

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
How do you have yours set up? I wasn't able to pull that data through a smart request in ESXi. 22,000 hours is 2.5 years, which I would think is a decent interval for a large data warehouse to refresh their drives.

As far as the reads and writes go, that's 722GB of reading and 109GB of writing per day. That's pretty good.

Oh and 106 of my 250 drives just showed up:

I have 8 drives hooked up to an IT mode LSI 9211-8i. I wasn't able to pull the information through the normal smartctl -a /dev/sda. Instead I had to use -x which put out all the other data.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Interesting. I'm considering picking up a dozen and making a pair of raidz2 vdevs for my pool. I don't need a lot more space, it's more about getting a little more performance.

Raidz2 since vdevs are forever and I'll eventually upgrade to larger drives where double parity makes a little more sense. And being used drives, a slightly higher possibility of failure during restripe.

Other than having to print out 12 adapters for my supermicro 3.5" bays... Any downside to these things?

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
I have 8 drives hooked up to an IT mode LSI 9211-8i. I wasn't able to pull the information through the normal smartctl -a /dev/sda. Instead I had to use -x which put out all the other data.
What kind of data shows up with this "-x"? Coul you please post output of one of your disks?

Other than having to print out 12 adapters for my supermicro 3.5" bays... Any downside to these things?
Do you really print the adapters? Never thought about that...perhaps I should check if can get access to a printer... Would you share your printing draft? :)

EDIT: Did anybody try to flash untouched HGST firmware on these?

aj84

Oct 28, 2015
Germany
Thanks for the hint! I'm a little concerned that it really fits: the right side is tricky and might be a problem (perspective: looking at the front of the hot swap bay - the same way you would look at front of the chassis with the bays in it). Using the supermicro converter bays (2.5" drive -> 3.5" hot swap bay) the right "rail" of the hot swap bay has direct contact to the drive to be able to match the backplane sata/sas connector...there is almost no space...
Please post your findings after testing it!

(EDIT: Sorry for hijacking & OT!)