Sun Ultra 24 Epyc Tropical (32C ES OC on 3.8ghz)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mgio

Mar 12, 2019
Hello servethehome users,

For hobby and automation purposes i was looking to have a new workstation build and was looking at intel platnium cpu's but ended up grabbing a deal for an Epyc engineering sample cpu.

I was also looking around for a suitable computer case but found all of the modern cases not suitable for this project and decided i wanted to build a sleeper computer, browsing around i found the Sun Ultra cases and decided to purchase the case as well as a motherboard, cpu cooler and some ram. The 1000W psu was spare so that saved a little bit in costs.

After purchasing the case i did find a page here on servethehome with a similair build an Epyc cpu inside a Sun Ultra case, but this was not my initial inspiration it's actually coincidence. Servethehome also brought me attention to an overclocking your Epyc cpu topic, which has helped into getting this clockspeed.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/overclock-your-amd-epyc.23422/
Thanks @nero243 for this topic.

Testing cpu and motherboard:

Putting one and two together:

Applying overclocks:

Taskmanager:

Testresults from CPU-Z validator:
AMD EPYC @ 3790.95 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR

And the finale of installing the Eisbaer Extreme watercooler brings us to the completed build for exception then the finishing touches and cable management:

To have the watercooler fit i had to do some hacking and slashing as you perhaps can see, a wheel grinder did the purpose just fine! The orientation of the fan on the back of the case is inwards. (slow speed).

I bring to you today to see the Sun Ultra 24 Epyc Tropical version, but not so Tropical thanks to Eisbaear!
Ps: I should take better care of my plant.

Parts list:
Motherboard: Asrock EPYCD8-2T
CPU: AMD Eng Sample: 2S1905A4VIHF4_30/19_N
Ram: 2x 16gb 2400mhz ecc (Hynix HMA42GR7AFR4N-UH)
Psu: Corsair 1000W (HX 1000)
Cooling: Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme liquid CPU cooler 280MM with 4 Silent fans attached.
+ Original Sun Fan air inlet.

Hope you enjoyed my little build, it will sure enjoy me for the coming time.

Last edited:

mgio

Mar 12, 2019
Very cool!
Thanks admin Patrick, you also have a lovely Sun Ultra build!

My case did not come with any of the cool old documentation and hardware inside, there we're no local good deals for me, and i had to get a case some countries away. From US it would not even be viable over 600 in shipping because of the size.

So i ended up just getting an emptied out case, but it is in very good condition. I will have to make some modifications to the power on button and led as well as the other inputs on the front as there is only about a centimeter space or less to work with because of the watercooling.

Last edited:

NORM123

Nov 19, 2019
Hi, when I test my dual epyc7551 es with 3.5GHz. it just got more than 7000 score in r20. RAM is single 32GB. is it normal score?

mgio

Mar 12, 2019
The sun ultra 24 epyc tropical is now set on 3.55GHz now at 1.125v due to adding a RX580 videocard. Somehow this makes me not able to push as much voltage as i did on initially making this topic with only a tiny graphics card added that nearly draws any power.

Since the pc is now actually in use, i will have to find a diy solution for filling the front IO power on and led alongside two usb 3.0 ports and headphone and microphone jack. Currently the eisbaer cooler is in the way, it can move a centimer or centimeter and a half back but i will have to make a tiny diy thing that will fit just in front of the watercooler.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I just found this thread and that's awesome. I just had a quick look and noticed several of these Ultra cases for sale on eBay for around $300-$340 range with shipping.

Maybe someone subscribed would like one, to gut.