Sun QDR infiniband switch 36 port $400

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Anyone have access to the latest firmware for these things?

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
I can't find it right now, but the firmware for that sun switch may be buried somewhere in there.
Have checked, if it is, looks like you need a contract for access to different products.

So Te

Jul 3, 2015
Anyone has an idea what USB-to-Serial cable works with the Sun Infiniband switches?
I have tried several with the settings for the CLI interface from the User's guide but no luck. Not sure if it was my connection to the PC I was trying to connect to but I have been pulling my hair out on this one.
I purchased two switches and have not been able to use them yet, because the seller had no idea what the mgmt. interface IP was.
Also, can you directly reset the switch to factory settings somehow? It does not have any reference to that outside of the CLI interface (after you've logged in successfully).
Of course, Oracle wants arm and a leg for support (come on, $1799 support for a $300 switch, seriously?) or they won't even talk with you.
So, between rock and a hard place right now.
Any help is appreciated!

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
So Te,
have you managed to get a new firmware update for your switch without registering for Oracle support?

So Te

Jul 3, 2015
No, I have not found a way to get the firmware from Oracle, unfortunately. So, I am sunning the stock one from 2010 (yuck!). But I did find a way to get in the console with a little bit of luck. I was able to use a Staples' branded USB-to-serial adapter which (contrary to all logic, at least to me) actually goes on the SUN Infiniband switch side (USB port in) and IS RECOGNIZED by the switch. On the other end of the USB-to-serial adapter I connected a NULL-model serial cable (female to female DB9) and plugged it in my workstation's serial port. I was able to then see activity on the USB-to-Serial adapter LEDs for Tx and Rx when opened a terminal window.
Another hurdle is the password for those machines. Seem some have been initialized with one password and others with another - not necessarily easy to find in Oracle's documentation or web site. One default password for root is "Welcome1" and the other is "changeme". Obviously, you should change those once you get in the switch itself.
Anyway, I was able to get in both machines and reconfigure the Ethernet interface for my network and access the ILO interface. Another problem with the ILOM - once you get in - if you are using a newer browser (IE 11+), you have to add the ILOM to your compatibility view sites list, or else you won't be able to see almost anything). BTW, ILOM provides literally no detailed information whatsoever. Nothing you can't get from the command line anyway.
I have been running 6 QDR +2 x DDR servers with 2xQDR ports each and single DDR on the other two. I was able to max out the Infiniband link on server to server communication.
Working on a project for building a HPC for a realtime video and motion analysis. That should be fun.
Hope the above info about the switch helps someone.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Anyone able to provide a firmware for the Oracle Infiniband 36 switch? Any firmware will do.