Storing VMs on a usb drive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I have two Mac Pros that I would like to install VMware Fusion 13 Pro on. The only catch his that I need to store the VMs on a USB drive. Will that work?

Specs:
Mac Pro 2013 1x 6-Core Intel Xeon and 32GB of Ram, OS: macOS Monterey

I want to run(not all at once) Windows Server, Windows (Pro, Home, etc.) and various Linux Flavor and version OS’s.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
Sure, why not?

I would aim for either a real drive in an enclosure or SanDisk extreme pro. The SD pro hits SSD speeds and shows up to the system as an internal drive.

nexox

May 3, 2023
USB sticks tend to have awful write performance and life span, other types of drive connected over USB should be alright, so long as your software supports it.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Sandisk Pro tend to fail quite often. I bought two douzens due the 10 years waranty. They did not fail completely but gave many errors so I binned them all. Google "Sandisk SSD problem". Another problem that I have seen with USB are sudden disconnects, not as reliable as Thunderbold, Sata or SAS and often slower due the USB chipsets.

Beside that it should work.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
If you're really intent on using that machine, why not Thunderbolt? Sure, Thunderbolt 1/2 is a bit orphaned, but there should still be disk enclosures out there...

Reactions: nexox