Storage Spaces design on a pure SSD setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
in the words of a long dead English professor... "there is no point in the English language where 2 positives create a negative sense" ... student in the audience shouts out "yeah, right."

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
With all ssds mirror with as many columns as you can get. Reads speeds will max out like raid0 writes will end up being half the total pool speeds. I have had set ups with 12 and 24 column mirrors and they have been really fast on socket 2011 systems. Like 12gb/s writes 24gb/s reads.

Eson

Oct 14, 2012
This is getting a bit frustrating, even running the P840 in HBA-mode Im still experiencing weird behaviour. The screenshots is from 8x480gb Intel 530 SSD in one SS single parity pool. I the performance numbers seem alright but the latency numbers cant be right?

Ive had peaks upward of 200ms, is this normal? Even if I split the SS up and try a single disk I get latencys of 20-40ms. Is the HP card still doing some weird shit?

These numbers are with one test VM running so basically no load.

Attachments

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
This is getting a bit frustrating, even running the P840 in HBA-mode Im still experiencing weird behaviour. The screenshots is from 8x480gb Intel 530 SSD in one SS single parity pool. I the performance numbers seem alright but the latency numbers cant be right?

Ive had peaks upward of 200ms, is this normal? Even if I split the SS up and try a single disk I get latencys of 20-40ms. Is the HP card still doing some weird shit?

These numbers are with one test VM running so basically no load.

How you can live with those write numbers is beyond me. I gave up on SS a while back.

Eson

Oct 14, 2012
How you can live with those write numbers is beyond me. I gave up on SS a while back.
Well, my options are pretty limited right now. The money has been spent on the P840 and Intel SSDs, since they arent working together Im trying to find the least bad alternative.

Eson

Oct 14, 2012
Parity pools are horrible for write performance. Even with SSD's, I don't think I'd expect to see it perform well.
Yea, right now though Im trying to understand if the response times Im getting are reasonable or if something is still weird with the P840-card.

ultradense

Feb 2, 2015
Try mirroring (RAID10 alike) in Storage Spaces. Seems to be much better then the different parity-modes in Storage Spaces and especially better when using SSD's.
I've heard people say that parity in SS gives them the same performance comparible with running on only 1 of the disks.

Reactions: NetWise