Storage, Server, & Network Lab gear for sale

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Glenn Barnas

Jan 14, 2015
I've been lurking here for a while and decided to offer my extra gear here instead of eBay. :)

I'm cutting back on my home lab... I have the following equipment for sale.
All equipment has been used/maintained in a data-center type environment, clean and well cared for. You can see most of the equipment in operation at View topic - Official "post pics of your network" thread • Networking Forum - A Computer Networking Community Site - scroll almost to the bottom of the page to see photos and a description. The Xyratex SAN units listed below were just replaced with the HP 2112FC units and were sitting on the floor out of view.
=================================================================
XYRATEX F-5402-E 12-BAY SAS/SATA ENCLOSURE, DUAL 4G FC CONTROLLER, RAILS
(USED)
$650 OBO Each (2)
Complete and functional Xyratex F-5402-E storage controller shelf, recently removed from operation in my VM 5.5 Datacenter lab. Unit is clean and ready for operation as a fiber-channel SAN. Supports direct fiber attach of 2 servers with redundant connections or integration into a switched FC environment. Mix and match SAS and SATA drives (by array), SATA drives require an (included) interposer to allow dual-channel access on single-ported drives. Each FC SAN controller module includes a 1024M Cache module, two 4G SFP modules, Ethernet port, and a battery.
This unit is ready for operation - just mount in your rack and install drives! Up to 2TB SAS drives are supported for 24TB capacity. Xyratex has one of the best array configuration & management interfaces in the business. I have personally used 750G and 1TB SATA as well as 300 & 600G 15K SAS and 2TB 7.5K SAS drives in these units to support my VMware 5.5 lab.
Configuration includes:
* RS-1220 Expansion Chassis - 12 x 3.5" bays, SAS Backplane
* 2 x Power Supplies
* Cooling Module
* 2 x SAS to 4G Fiber Channel Controller Modules
* Complete Rack-Rail set
* 12 x SAS/SATA 3.5" Drive Trays
* 14 x SAS-SATA Interposer (dongle) (12 for drives + 2 spares)
* CD with all related documentation, drivers, and software (no drivers or software are required for standard operation, however!)
At my requested price, I'll also include the following to get you up and running quickly with 2 servers.
* 2 x 3m LC-LC Fiber interconnect cables
* 2 x Emulex LP-11000 4G FC HBA cards (PCIe)
I have two of these SAN units available.
Also available are a pair of Brocade 4100 16/32 and 200e 8/16 Enterprise FC SAN switches. All licensed ports include a 4Gbps SFP module. Several SATA and SAS Enterprise drives are also available.
XYRATEX RS-1220 12-BAY SAS/SATA ENCLOSURE, DUAL SAS CONTROLLER, RAILS
(USED)
$550 OBO
Complete and functional Xyratex RS-1220 expansion shelf, recently removed from operation in my VM 5.5 Datacenter. Unit is clean and ready for operation as a JBOD driven from a SAS HBA or expansion in your Xyratex SAN. Mix and match SAS and SATA drives (by array), SATA drives require an (included) interposer to allow dual-channel access on single-ported drives.
This unit is ready for operation - just mount in your rack and install drives! Up to 2TB SAS drives are supported for 24TB capacity.
Configuration includes:
* RS-1220 Expansion Chassis - 12 x 3.5" bays, 3Gbps SAS Backplane
* 2 x Power Supplies
* Cooling Module
* 2 x SAS Expansion Controller Modules
* Complete Rack-Rail set

SAS/SATA ENTERPRISE DISK DRIVES - LFF
I have several Enterprise SATA and SAS drives that were originally used in this SAN available for purchase.
Seagate 750G SATA Enterprise $25 ea (15 pcs available)
IBM 1TB Sata Enterprise $45 ea (12 pcs available)
HP 600G 15K SAS $120 ea (6 pcs available)
Dell 600G 10K SAS $100 ea (3 pcs available)
BROCADE SILKWORM 200E 8/16-PORT GBIC FIBRE CHANNEL FABRIC SWITCH
(USED)
$125 Each (2)
A fully managed 4G Fibre Channel SAN Switch with 16 ports. Includes licenses for 8 ports and 8 4Gbps SFP modules. Configuration is reset to defaults. Perfect for small environments or a SAN Lab! Units are clean but show some minor scratches resulting from being in storage - this will not impact operation.
Configuration includes:
* Brocade (EMC OEM) 200e chassis
* 8 activated/licensed ports, 16 ports available with additional license
* 8 4Gbps SFP modules
* Single power supply
* No rails or rack ears for these - sorry!

Two units available - first $200 takes both - save $50!
BROCADE SILKWORM 4100 16/32-PORT GBIC FIBRE CHANNEL FABRIC SWITCH
(USED)
$325 Each (2)
A fully managed 4G Fibre Channel SAN Switch with 32 ports. Includes licenses for 16 ports and 16 4Gbps SFP modules. Configuration is reset to defaults, and firmware was recently updated. Perfect for small to mid-size environments! Units are clean but show minimal scratches - this will not impact operation.
Configuration includes:
* Brocade D4100 chassis
* 16 activated/licensed ports, 32 ports available with additional license
* 16 4Gbps SFP modules
* Dual power supplies
* Rack mount bracket (ears)

Two units available - first $600 takes both - save $50!
HP DL580-G5, 4xQC 2.93GHz; 32G RAM, 4x146G SFF, RAILS & CABLE MGMT
(USED)
$650 OBO Each (2)
A high-performance 4-U server ideally suited for virtualization environments. This was part of a 3-node cluster running VMware 5.5 (I'm currently selling 2 of the 3 nodes). With 16 cores and 16 Gig of RAM, this configuration can easily host 20-25 VM guests. Only half of the RAM slots are used, so you can upgrade to 64G directly and 128G with mezzanine cards (available on eBay). A SAS RAID card supports up to 8 drives - 4 146G SAS drives are included.
Configuration includes:
* Four Quad-Core 2.93 GHz CPUs (16 cores total)
* 4 x 4G FB-DIMM RAM modules (16GB total), 12 additional RAM slots available for expansion; supports 4 optional 449416-001 Memory Expansion Mezzanine cards
* P400 RAID Controller; 4 x 146G 10K SAS SFF drives; 4 bays available for expansion.
* Three (3) hot-swap power supplies (n+1 redundancy), 1 open PS port is available (4 total supported).
* 2 on-board plus a dual-port Ethernet card - total of 4 Gig-Ethernet ports
* ILO (basic) Ethernet port for out of band management
* Full rack rail kit with cable management arm
* Power Cords
* ESXi 5.5 installed (free version), configuration cleared & ready to use
Two identical units are available. Buy both and take $100 off the total price.
Other/Misc:
Will be upgrading my storage subsystem during April and the HP SAN should be available late April/early May:
* HP 2112 FC SAN w/ dual 4Gbps FC controllers
12 LFF bays/trays
Supports SAS and/or SATA drives up to 2TB
* HP 12 bay expansion shelf
12 LFF bays/trays
SAS Interconnect cables
Very high performance subsystem for VM Cluster
($1000 complete, as shown in pics. Fully operational and currently in-service.)

Available now but in the shop for cleaning & certification.
* HP DL-380 G5, 2xQC 2.5GHz, 16G RAM, 2x146G SAS HDD, P400 controller ($300)
* SuperMicro small server, 4x750G SATA, Adaptec SATA RAID, FreeNAS ($200)
* Bay Network - 220VAC 16-outlet PDU, Serial Interface ($100)

Available now - sold "as-is" due to age. Priced accordingly.
* Cisco Pix 515e ($15)
* Cisco 3800 VoIP Controller ($25)
* Bay/Nortel Network Accelar 1200 switch ($50)
2 controllers, 3x16 100bT ports & 3x2 1000bF ports
* Drive trays for IBM, Dell server, and Xyratex/Compellent ($8 ea, ltd qtys)

SHIPPING
I add a fair and reasonable amount for "handling" in addition to the actual shipping cost for the items I sell. The handling fee covers the cost of a NEW shipping carton plus appropriate packing materials. For lighweight items, I will wrap them in bubble-wrap and place high-density foam at each end of the carton to prevent crushing. For heavier items, I will use high-density foam to line the carton and surround the item with a cushioning material, or use original factory packing if available. My goal is to insure that the items arrive in good working condition - just as I would like to receive them when I am the buyer! :)

Depending on the size/weight of the item, the carton and packing material can cost between $7 and $25.
If you are nearby, pickup can be arranged to avoid shipping costs, and no handling fee will be charged. We are located in the NJ Meadowlands area. I'll meet you "half way" if you're nearly close enough for $25 per 60 miles traveled, up to 120 miles.

PM or reply with questions or if you want additional pictures.

Thanks for looking!

Glenn

Glenn Barnas

Jan 14, 2015
It came to me from a client trade-in and I used it internally to test FreeNAS and OpenFiler solutions, so the best that I can tell is that it has a SuperMicro H8SMi motherboard with an AMD (dual-core?) Opteron 1000 series CPU. Should be at least 2G RAM, possibly 4 - I'd have to go to the storage unit to check for sure. I might have some compatible RAM modules that I'll include as expansion/spares if available. The chassis appears to be a CSE-815TQ or possibly older equivalent. It has a SATA backplane connected to an Adaptec AAR-2410SA RAID card. This is in the only available PCI slot.

I had thought about trying to use an HP P600 SAS RAID card (on ebay for under $20) and a couple of 2T SAS drives in this, but I have too many other projects on my plate to proceed with that project.

The unit is clean and the 750G drives are enterprise grade that pulled from my SAN in an upgrade. The unit had a pair of 160G drives in it originally, but I'm including the four 750G drives instead so no proprietary or confidential data is released from the old drives.

Glenn

PG31

Jun 2, 2015
Hello, I'm on the other side of the pond and Im looking at one of these Xyratex arrays. I got caught out in the past purchasing a Netapp array and couldn't use it because the O/S is licensed. Is that the same with this array using Storview? Is it easy to deafault to factory and logon using default settings? Thanks!

I've been lurking here for a while and decided to offer my extra gear here instead of eBay. :)

I'm cutting back on my home lab... I have the following equipment for sale.
All equipment has been used/maintained in a data-center type environment, clean and well cared for. You can see most of the equipment in operation at View topic - Official "post pics of your network" thread • Networking Forum - A Computer Networking Community Site - scroll almost to the bottom of the page to see photos and a description. The Xyratex SAN units listed below were just replaced with the HP 2112FC units and were sitting on the floor out of view.
XYRATEX F-5402-E 12-BAY SAS/SATA ENCLOSURE, DUAL 4G FC CONTROLLER, RAILS
(USED)
$650 OBO Each (2)
Complete and functional Xyratex F-5402-E storage controller shelf, recently removed from operation in my VM 5.5 Datacenter lab. Unit is clean and ready for operation as a fiber-channel SAN. Supports direct fiber attach of 2 servers with redundant connections or integration into a switched FC environment. Mix and match SAS and SATA drives (by array), SATA drives require an (included) interposer to allow dual-channel access on single-ported drives. Each FC SAN controller module includes a 1024M Cache module, two 4G SFP modules, Ethernet port, and a battery.
This unit is ready for operation - just mount in your rack and install drives! Up to 2TB SAS drives are supported for 24TB capacity. Xyratex has one of the best array configuration & management interfaces in the business. I have personally used 750G and 1TB SATA as well as 300 & 600G 15K SAS and 2TB 7.5K SAS drives in these units to support my VMware 5.5 lab.
Configuration includes:
* RS-1220 Expansion Chassis - 12 x 3.5" bays, SAS Backplane
* 2 x Power Supplies
* Cooling Module
* 2 x SAS to 4G Fiber Channel Controller Modules
* Complete Rack-Rail set
* CD with all related documentation, drivers, and software (no drivers or software are required for standard operation, however!)
At my requested price, I'll also include the following to get you up and running quickly with 2 servers.
* 2 x 3m LC-LC Fiber interconnect cables
* 2 x Emulex LP-11000 4G FC HBA cards (PCIe)
I have two of these SAN units available.
Also available are a pair of Brocade 4100 16/32 and 200e 8/16 Enterprise FC SAN switches. All licensed ports include a 4Gbps SFP module. Several SATA and SAS Enterprise drives are also available.
XYRATEX RS-1220 12-BAY SAS/SATA ENCLOSURE, DUAL SAS CONTROLLER, RAILS
(USED)
$550 OBO
Complete and functional Xyratex RS-1220 expansion shelf, recently removed from operation in my VM 5.5 Datacenter. Unit is clean and ready for operation as a JBOD driven from a SAS HBA or expansion in your Xyratex SAN. Mix and match SAS and SATA drives (by array), SATA drives require an (included) interposer to allow dual-channel access on single-ported drives.
This unit is ready for operation - just mount in your rack and install drives! Up to 2TB SAS drives are supported for 24TB capacity.
Configuration includes:
* RS-1220 Expansion Chassis - 12 x 3.5" bays, 3Gbps SAS Backplane
* 2 x Power Supplies
* Cooling Module
* 2 x SAS Expansion Controller Modules
* Complete Rack-Rail set

SAS/SATA ENTERPRISE DISK DRIVES - LFF
I have several Enterprise SATA and SAS drives that were originally used in this SAN available for purchase.
Seagate 750G SATA Enterprise $25 ea (15 pcs available)
IBM 1TB Sata Enterprise $45 ea (12 pcs available)
HP 600G 15K SAS $120 ea (6 pcs available)
Dell 600G 10K SAS $100 ea (3 pcs available)
BROCADE SILKWORM 200E 8/16-PORT GBIC FIBRE CHANNEL FABRIC SWITCH
(USED)
$125 Each (2)
A fully managed 4G Fibre Channel SAN Switch with 16 ports. Includes licenses for 8 ports and 8 4Gbps SFP modules. Configuration is reset to defaults. Perfect for small environments or a SAN Lab! Units are clean but show some minor scratches resulting from being in storage - this will not impact operation.
Configuration includes:
* Brocade (EMC OEM) 200e chassis
* 8 activated/licensed ports, 16 ports available with additional license
* 8 4Gbps SFP modules
* Single power supply
* No rails or rack ears for these - sorry!

Two units available - first $200 takes both - save $50!
BROCADE SILKWORM 4100 16/32-PORT GBIC FIBRE CHANNEL FABRIC SWITCH
(USED)
$325 Each (2)
A fully managed 4G Fibre Channel SAN Switch with 32 ports. Includes licenses for 16 ports and 16 4Gbps SFP modules. Configuration is reset to defaults, and firmware was recently updated. Perfect for small to mid-size environments! Units are clean but show minimal scratches - this will not impact operation.
Configuration includes:
* Brocade D4100 chassis
* 16 activated/licensed ports, 32 ports available with additional license
* 16 4Gbps SFP modules
* Dual power supplies
* Rack mount bracket (ears)

Two units available - first $600 takes both - save $50!
HP DL580-G5, 4xQC 2.93GHz; 32G RAM, 4x146G SFF, RAILS & CABLE MGMT
(USED)
$650 OBO Each (2)
A high-performance 4-U server ideally suited for virtualization environments. This was part of a 3-node cluster running VMware 5.5 (I'm currently selling 2 of the 3 nodes). With 16 cores and 16 Gig of RAM, this configuration can easily host 20-25 VM guests. Only half of the RAM slots are used, so you can upgrade to 64G directly and 128G with mezzanine cards (available on eBay). A SAS RAID card supports up to 8 drives - 4 146G SAS drives are included.
Configuration includes:
* Four Quad-Core 2.93 GHz CPUs (16 cores total)
* 4 x 4G FB-DIMM RAM modules (16GB total), 12 additional RAM slots available for expansion; supports 4 optional 449416-001 Memory Expansion Mezzanine cards
* P400 RAID Controller; 4 x 146G 10K SAS SFF drives; 4 bays available for expansion.
* Three (3) hot-swap power supplies (n+1 redundancy), 1 open PS port is available (4 total supported).
* 2 on-board plus a dual-port Ethernet card - total of 4 Gig-Ethernet ports
* ILO (basic) Ethernet port for out of band management
* Full rack rail kit with cable management arm
* Power Cords
* ESXi 5.5 installed (free version), configuration cleared & ready to use
Two identical units are available. Buy both and take $100 off the total price.
Other/Misc:
Will be upgrading my storage subsystem during April and the HP SAN should be available late April/early May:
* HP 2112 FC SAN w/ dual 4Gbps FC controllers
12 LFF bays/trays
Supports SAS and/or SATA drives up to 2TB
* HP 12 bay expansion shelf
12 LFF bays/trays
SAS Interconnect cables
Very high performance subsystem for VM Cluster
($1000 complete, as shown in pics. Fully operational and currently in-service.)

Available now but in the shop for cleaning & certification.
* HP DL-380 G5, 2xQC 2.5GHz, 16G RAM, 2x146G SAS HDD, P400 controller ($300)
* SuperMicro small server, 4x750G SATA, Adaptec SATA RAID, FreeNAS ($200)
* Bay Network - 220VAC 16-outlet PDU, Serial Interface ($100)

Available now - sold "as-is" due to age. Priced accordingly.
* Cisco Pix 515e ($15)
* Cisco 3800 VoIP Controller ($25)
* Bay/Nortel Network Accelar 1200 switch ($50)
2 controllers, 3x16 100bT ports & 3x2 1000bF ports
* Drive trays for IBM, Dell server, and Xyratex/Compellent ($8 ea, ltd qtys)

SHIPPING
I add a fair and reasonable amount for "handling" in addition to the actual shipping cost for the items I sell. The handling fee covers the cost of a NEW shipping carton plus appropriate packing materials. For lighweight items, I will wrap them in bubble-wrap and place high-density foam at each end of the carton to prevent crushing. For heavier items, I will use high-density foam to line the carton and surround the item with a cushioning material, or use original factory packing if available. My goal is to insure that the items arrive in good working condition - just as I would like to receive them when I am the buyer! :)

Depending on the size/weight of the item, the carton and packing material can cost between $7 and $25.
If you are nearby, pickup can be arranged to avoid shipping costs, and no handling fee will be charged. We are located in the NJ Meadowlands area. I'll meet you "half way" if you're nearly close enough for $25 per 60 miles traveled, up to 120 miles.

PM or reply with questions or if you want additional pictures.

Thanks for looking!

Glenn

Glenn Barnas

Jan 14, 2015
Sorry for the delay - had some issues replying to this post with the link inserted..

The Xyratex units are great! Easy to use with the embedded StoreView - no licensing. There are some features - multiple snapshots and replication - that require additional licensing, but as a basic SAN, you're good to go.

I got mine factory refurb'd and had never used them before. I was up and operating on a VM cluster in about a day of tinkering. They will take any SAS or SATA drive up to 2TB. You need to pay attention to creating the array with SATA drives as they aren't dual-ported, using alternate columns of bays. No biggie, and not needed unless you have dual controllers. No issue/restriction for SAS drives.

I upgraded to HP storage as these were not officially supported by VMware, and being a VM Partner, I needed a lab with supported hardware. The HP units were not as easy to configure, and have the same 2TB drive limit.

As for defaulting - it's easy once you find it - it's hidden about 5 levels deep in the console menu. You'll need the serial cable to do this, and that's the rub.. it's a custom cable that uses a USB-type connector on one end and a DB9 on the other. It's NOT a USB interface, just a USB-type 4-pin connector. Make sure you either get the cable or the pinouts to create one from a USB cable and DB9 connector.

My entire Xyratex docs-SW-FW library can be downloaded from www.innotechcg.com/downloads/xyratex.zip. About 144MB, it has every document, firmware, and support software I've been able to find for these units.

Happy SANning!

Glenn

Last edited: