STH Idea - Run your app infrastructure

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
What if STH had a service where someone could try running their website on different types of servers? Benchmarks about Xeon D are fine enough, but if I have a SugarCRM instance that I want to try across Xeon D, E5 V3 or the new X-gene it'd be worth at least $50-100 to us to give it a try side-by-side.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
What's the difference between the reviews now? Is it just BYO app? If that's the case I can do rackspace, aws and azure already. I'd think that's a maybe idea.

Reactions: Patriot

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I don't think he has a lot of gear long term... so getting time on a D may be hard. Also makes it more of a hassle to keep things up and running, etc. I assume Patrick would rather low maintenance so he can spend time testing new stuff then keep things running. Though with some of the MAAS stuff, could burn and rebuild quickly.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
What's the difference between the reviews now? Is it just BYO app? If that's the case I can do rackspace, aws and azure already. I'd think that's a maybe idea.
There is such a thing as workload tracing... and replay... Turn your workload into a benchmark.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I don't think he has a lot of gear long term... so getting time on a D may be hard.
I actually buy quite a bit, and have limited time to sell so unfortunately, I have a lot sitting in a real estate market where housing is about $800-1000/ sq ft.

I was actually going to get a rack about 20 minutes away just to get the stuff more easily remote accessible.

And tomorrow I will have 10Gbase-T D w/ 128GB RAM :)

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Oh cool. I thought you would have to keep stuff moving due to significant other... If you have a place to stash, that's another story. I don't :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Oh cool. I thought you would have to keep stuff moving due to significant other... If you have a place to stash, that's another story. I don't :)
I do have significant space dedicated. I want to ensure I always have one system of the last 2-3 generations of each platform available for regression testing.